We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4 ladies looking for a SAFE & comfy hotel in Preston

Which Preston hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
North Carolina, USA
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Topic
4 ladies looking for a SAFE & comfy hotel in Preston

We are traveling to Preston for genealogy research. We are seniors, seeking a safe and comfortable hotel with a restaurant and/or near restaurants and shopping. Also - near public transportation. All tips and advice appreciated.

Salford, England
Level Contributor
367 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 4 ladies looking for a SAFE & comfy hotel in Preston

Hi

How long do you plan on being in Preston? If just a day, I would suggest staying in manchester for an extra night and travelling by train. Journey time is about 45 mins

Pickering England
Level Contributor
1,173 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 4 ladies looking for a SAFE & comfy hotel in Preston

Rather than all the seperate posts it would help if you gave an outline of your itinerary so others can help link it together in most efficient way

North Carolina, USA
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 4 ladies looking for a SAFE & comfy hotel in Preston

All help appreciated!!!! We are 4 ladies traveling to Lancashire for genealogy research. After all the responses we got over the weekend, it looks like we will stay in Manchester for the entire time, but take public transportation to Preston, Lancaster Castle, Bolton, Eccles and Liverpool.

Can someone advise us about public transportation options and costs? It would be wonderful to be able to travel to each place, do our research, then return to Manchester so we can remain in the same hotel the entire time. Is that possible?

Currently we can considering the City Inn. Is that close to public transportation?

preston, england
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: 4 ladies looking for a SAFE & comfy hotel in Preston

It would depend on what your budget was. For the lower end of the budget there is an ibis and holiday inn in Preston. The holiday inn is in the city centre so very close to restaurants and shopping areas. For the higher end of the budget there is the marriot hotel.

Preston, United...
Level Contributor
1,384 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 4 ladies looking for a SAFE & comfy hotel in Preston

I think you will do well to stay in Manchester and travel.

Train travel in the North West is pretty good. Certainly Preston would be advisable by train, where do you need to go when you get to Preston? The city centre is quite walkable or there are taxis outside the station to take you were you need to go. Busses are also frequent and pretty good if you need to go a bit further.

I always find this site very good if you are planning journeys with public transport. You will need to get the postcode for each site you are visiting and then take it from there.

Lanska

Preston, United...
Level Contributor
1,384 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 4 ladies looking for a SAFE & comfy hotel in Preston

http://nw.aimwebsites.co.uk/

Whoops missed off the link!

North Carolina, USA
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: 4 ladies looking for a SAFE & comfy hotel in Preston

Thank you!!! I really appreciate the link and information.

Preston, United...
Level Contributor
1,384 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 4 ladies looking for a SAFE & comfy hotel in Preston

No problem, are there specific places you are interested about in Preston? I'd be happy to advise on what I can.

Lanska

Rossendale, UK
Level Contributor
123 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 4 ladies looking for a SAFE & comfy hotel in Preston

I am born and bred in Preston and therefore have a few recommendations to make below, but given the areas you want to cover I would also say Manchester also makes a good base.

You can check the rail fares yourself on http://www.thetrainline.com/. If you think the fare structure appears confusing - it is not you at fault - it is confusing to locals as well. Manchester - Bolton - Preston - Lancaster are all on the same line. The trains are pretty reliable, but you would still do well to avoid them late at night. Eccles is suburb of the Manchester/Salford conurbation but can be reached by tram from the City Centre.

If you want to stay at a Country hotel near Preston you could try Northcote Manor. http://www.northcotemanor.com/ which is a restaurant with room, excellent food in a rural setting.

In Preston itself you could eat at Winckley Square Chophouse heathcotes.co.uk/collection/…index.php

Preston is a good provincial shopping centre, but Manchester is a world class shopping centre, so you'll probably prefer the latter.

As you are searching for ancestors you may want to get out into the smaller parishes and car hire would be the best option. Lancashire has some very attractive Countryside outside the main industrial towns.

As it happens we are visiting North / South Carolina in August !

North Carolina, USA
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: 4 ladies looking for a SAFE & comfy hotel in Preston

Thanks for the info! What part of North Carolina are you traveling to? I'll be glad to offer advice if I can.

Get answers to your questions about Preston