We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sixt Car Rental - BEWARE

Boston...
1 post
2 reviews
Sixt Car Rental - BEWARE

Hired two cars for a week each from the Sixt Car Rental Company - Tewkesbury Branch. Received full confirms saying cars were reserved and that we were set for 4 car seats - at a cost of over 8 sterling per day per seat. THREE days before we leave my wife receives an emailto inform us the following:

1) this branch of SIXT does not carry car seats

2) impossible to get car seats from other SIXT locations because they are owned by different people???

WHAT? you sent a full confirm detailing the car seats, cost, etc. They guaranteed an obligation they in NO WAY can meet. How is this place even still in business. We not have to scramble to find another car rental place in Tewkesbury. BEWARE of this place - and BEWARE if you get Jade (rep) or Chris (mgr) on the phone - as they are less than helpful.

13 replies to this topic
Londinium born and...
Level Contributor
4,444 posts
1. Re: Sixt Car Rental - BEWARE

Child seats? £56 per week, per seat? You can buy them for about £25 in most large Asda, TESCO, or Sainsburys stores and leave them in the cars and you'd be saving money.

It's daft that the rental company say they have none, but actually you'd be paying well over the odds if they did.

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
70 posts
23 reviews
2. Re: Sixt Car Rental - BEWARE

Thank you for e-mailing the details to me, I appreciate your efforts to highlight this problem and take your feedback constuctively as you intended.

We are sorry that the seats weren't available, I am looking into this and will come back to you when I have the details.

Gary - Sixt Customer Service Team

Wales
Level Contributor
14 posts
318 reviews
3. Re: Sixt Car Rental - BEWARE

We hired a car in Faro through Jet2.com / Carhire3000. Unfortunately, we were not informed that Sixt has no office at the airport. Instead, we were taken on a bus to a car park 15mins away. The staff were rude to us and other customers. I blame Jet2 for not making sure that passengers will have a good and reliable service. I complained to Carhire3000 and they ignored my complaint. When you hire a car at the airport that is where you expect to collect it, not with Sixt. The problem is that you do not know which car rental you will deal with. Never again!!

Edited: 12:06 am, May 14, 2012
Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
3 posts
37 reviews
4. Re: Sixt Car Rental - BEWARE

I recently used Sixt from Manchester Airport and will never use them again. First there was no choice whatsoever of vehicle. I had expected a Citroen D5 as that was the feature car in the class that I booked. When I got there the surly girl at the counter told us the choice was Skoda Octavia or pay extra. Not a good start. I was emailed a bar code a few days before leaving the US to simplify pick up. Not used at manchester Airport. I was also told we could download an app so that we could pick our "preferred" car from the list availabl. Not at Sixt Manchester Airport you can't! The app doesn't work and even if it did they have no choie of cars. Finally they rip you off unmercifully on gas. We were charged 66 pounds plus VAT for diesel. That is more than the capacity of the tank! What they didn't tell us is that if you return the car 1/2 full they do not give you a refund. (It's in the smallprint but after travelling for 15 hours without sleep who reads the smallprint?) Even the guy who took the car back from us told us that you should never take the pre paid fuel. I took it up with "customer services" who rferred to the small print and blew it off. I've hired from Hertz, National and Enterprise in the past, I will never hire from these scammers again.

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
2,448 posts
126 reviews
5. Re: Sixt Car Rental - BEWARE

Not sticking up for Sixt but the diesel charge for a full tank isn't that extortionate! The fuel tank of an Octavia is around 50 litres, I think, and diesel, depending on outlet is around £1.40 a litre (Say £6.40 per gallon). Airport station costs likely to be more. So £70 (+) isn't unusual!

Londinium born and...
Level Contributor
4,444 posts
6. Re: Sixt Car Rental - BEWARE

It costs more than that to fill up my VW Golf!

I usually opt for the full tank option and you return it with a full tank. I find it easier to do that then have to constantly monitor how much petrol is left in case I put too much in and don't use it. Of course, what they say us a full tank is usually a bit short, but it's a matter of a few litres and I'd rather lose a couple of quid rather than leave £30 worth in because I didn't do the mileage I thought I'd do. This actually happened to me once and it really annoyed me.

You can ask what they charge per litre before you decide, but I've found they charge about the same as high street garages.

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
3 posts
37 reviews
7. Re: Sixt Car Rental - BEWARE

A 50 litre tank @ 1.40 is 70 pounds I agree. I think I paid 1.38 but that's not the point. They have charged 79.20 for it and nobody brings back a completely empty tank and even if they do they make a 10 pounds profit on mark up. They also fail to make it clear that you don't get any benefit from any fuel left in the tank. They price quote I got included everything, aditional driver etc.. but made no reference whatsoever to the fuel charge. It's a scam.

8. Re: Sixt Car Rental - BEWARE

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 7:05 am, January 25, 2018

Wiltshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Wiltshire
Level Contributor
11,314 posts
441 reviews
9. Re: Sixt Car Rental - BEWARE

Is there a reason why you open up a 5 year old post about Tewkesbury to complain about something in another country?

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
45,181 posts
80 reviews
10. Re: Sixt Car Rental - BEWARE

Necropost alert!!

Reply to: Sixt Car Rental - BEWARE
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Tewkesbury