We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Are Leeds castle grounds/gardens free??

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
13 posts
Save Topic
Are Leeds castle grounds/gardens free??

Headding to leads castle Mid April and im wondering if the enterance fee is just for the castle or also for the castle grounds and gardens etc? I cant beleive how much they can charge for these castles! I know its a pretty nice castle but is it worth the $30??

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London, Dry Tortugas National Park
Level Contributor
20,175 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Are Leeds castle grounds/gardens free??

Henneth, I have the impression that the OP is trying to fit a glimpse of Leeds Castle in with a day that also includes Dover Castle and Canterbury. (Things may have changed by now)

The only links I can find to the walk you describe discuss a circular route taking 3.5-4 hours. That probably represents more walking than the OP wants or needs to do, but could you indicate how much time/distance (in their already busy day) they would need to walk on the public footpaths and see Leeds Castle?

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
13 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Are Leeds castle grounds/gardens free??

yes out plans have changes as we will not be going to leads castle on that day. I dont mind paying to get into castles as i know they require alot of upkeep but since we were only planning on being there for a short time and we are also going to the Dover Castle so it will add up quickly. As of now we will be going to Dover to see the Cliffs and the Castle then to Canterbuy Cathedral.

The cheapest I could find tickets came up to $160CAD per person if I pay for each ticket but by using the BritRail Pass my cost will be $110CAD per person and thats including Dover Castle and Canterbury Cathedral.

Thanks for all your tips and help!

warrensburg,MO
Level Contributor
7,685 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: Are Leeds castle grounds/gardens free??

If I wanted to view the grounds of Leeds Castle for free, I'd park in a lay by on the A20 or in Leeds itself. One short 5 to 10 minute walk on a designated public footpath later and I would be right in the middle of the grounds. Nothing like a 4 hour hike.

The only issue that might occur is the path from the A20 goes right across the golf course and I'm usually worried that I might get knocked out by a low flying ball.

kent
Destination Expert
for Kent, Solo Travel
Level Contributor
13,147 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Are Leeds castle grounds/gardens free??

Mukiwa

It was only after I had posted that I realised you were travelling from East Croydon. Hope I didn't confuse you.

I'd agree with BB, that it may be faster to travel to London to pick a connecting trains for Kent.

As your plans have now changed and you are travelling only to Canterbury and Dover, I'd suggest you check out the prices for the 2 for 1 deals at www.southeasternrailway.co.uk

Occassionally the train operator also run a 20% off deal.

Maidstone, United...
Level Contributor
109 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Are Leeds castle grounds/gardens free??

Just for clarity, go to the KCC Interactive Footpath Map.

…kent.gov.uk/KCC.ExploreKent.Web.Sites.Publi…

Enter postcode me171pb into the search engine, or zoom into Leeds Castle manually.

The green dotted lines are public footpaths, over which you have full access to walk whenever you wish. The walk from nearby villages is probably not much further than from the official car park to the castle.

We are paid members, but our cards were not checked on entering the castle.

East Sussex, United...
Level Contributor
5,433 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Are Leeds castle grounds/gardens free??

Just for clarity, go to the KCC Interactive Footpath Map.

==========================================

For further clarity the OP was asking the question in April 2012 and the forum had lay dormant for more than 2 years.

Maidstone, United...
Level Contributor
109 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Are Leeds castle grounds/gardens free??

And the law on public rights of way is as relevant in 2014. This week I removed a no entry sign placed at the beginning of a footpath.

Anyone can walk through the grounds of Leeds Castle whenever they like, straight past the buildings demanding payment.

Heidelberg...
Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Are Leeds castle grounds/gardens free??

We went there yesterday and the admission fee absolutely put us off. Parking was free and we followed the path to the right along the fence. We came to a "public footpath", which led us directly into the castle gardens. We walked past the castle, enjoyed the ducks and swans and went back to the car. There were signs "public footpath" inside the castle gardens, too, and the gate was wide open. They don't tell you that at the ticket office, though.

London, United...
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
19. Re: Are Leeds castle grounds/gardens free??

Thank you all for your hints about public access...we are going to Go Ape on the premises and were afraid we would have to pay double for admission to the grounds so that we could have a picnic.

As maidstonekent said- this sort of information is ALWAYS helpful

20. Re: Are Leeds castle grounds/gardens free??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:15 am, December 08, 2015