We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Re - passport details for entry from South Africa to UK.

Cape Town Central...
2 posts
Save Topic
Re - passport details for entry from South Africa to UK.

Good day,

We live in South Africa. But I was born in Rhodesia in 1955. I was registered in 1958. The certificate reads... Citizenship of Rhodesia and Nyasaland and British Nationality Act 1957. NOTIFICATION OF REGISTRATION AS A CITIZEN OF RHODESIA AND NYASALAND. I am trying to find out please if I am able to apply for a British Passport. As yet no ones seems to be able to give me the answers I am looking for.

I hope you are able to help me please.

Regards,

Brenda

I

Oakham, United...
Level Contributor
2,951 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Re - passport details for entry from South Africa to UK.

Two minutes on Google suggests you can't get a british passport. Have you tried contacting the passport office?

https:/…hm-passport-office

Cape Town Central...
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Re - passport details for entry from South Africa to UK.

Thank you for the reply. Nothing seems to be easy. And we so need to get over to join our daughter and family before we are too old.

Sheffield
Level Contributor
4,928 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Re - passport details for entry from South Africa to UK.

Have you done as Martin suggests? That and the British High Commission are the only routes to accurate information.

If that fails, have you asked the South African passport Office as you are resident there?

As for too old - 59 is hardly old.

Good luck.

UK
Level Contributor
7,295 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Re - passport details for entry from South Africa to UK.

So what is your current nationality - South Africa, Zimbabwe or something else? Would it not make sense to geta visa in your current passport, rather than try to get a British one?

London
Level Contributor
1,292 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Re - passport details for entry from South Africa to UK.

Are you looking for a British Passport in the hope that you will then be able to take up residency here with your daughter ?

If so, that would seem to be a question which needs an official governmental answer and detailks of your legal standing

Certaiinly it would be unwise to rely on an opinion or two on this forum

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Re - passport details for entry from South Africa to UK.

As yet no ones seems to be able to give me the answers I am looking for.

======

Does that mean you cant get an answer at all, or you cant get the answer you want?

Why don't you visit the nearest British embassy or consulate and ask them?

London
Level Contributor
1,292 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Re - passport details for entry from South Africa to UK.

As I, and others, have said you WILLL NOT get a definitive answer here - only, maybe, some opinions. One answer #1 already suggests that you cannot apply for a British Passport, but you need to confirm this officially

You need to go through official channels - find out if the Registration as a citizen of Rhodesia & Nyasaland (as was) actually gives any right to a British Passport (and even if it does, it may not be full British status)

This forum is essentially a group of amateurs - whatever replies you get won't advance your case - official enquiries will

Oakham, United...
Level Contributor
2,951 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Re - passport details for entry from South Africa to UK.

IF it's really important, seek legal advice.

However:

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=british+nationality+rhodesian+birth+certificate

The first page of links include a few forum discussions of similar questions. There's a suggestion you should read the British Nationality ACt (as amended).

…homeoffice.gov.uk/britishcitizenship/…

Also:

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=rhodesian+entitled+to+british+passport

Which finds:

whatpassport.com/countries/Zimbabwe/Passport…

caution: that site looks as though it may be trying to take money from you.

But this is a forum where helpful people try toi help others with holiday/travel related questions (eg where are the good pubs in Oxford?) and you've posted what is essentially a legal question.

UK
Level Contributor
7,295 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Re - passport details for entry from South Africa to UK.

Wouldn't the OP's eligibility for British citizenship also depend on where the OP's parents were born? We don't have that information...

10. Re: Re - passport details for entry from South Africa to UK.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, February 13, 2015