We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel from Basingstoke to London Gatwick airport

Which Basingstoke hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney
3 posts
Save Topic
Travel from Basingstoke to London Gatwick airport

Hi, can anyone help me with transport from Basingstoke to Gatwick airport but having to get to Gatwick at 0430 for a 0600 flight, I can only find a train going via Clapham Junction but waiting there for 30 minutes at 0130 which Im not sure about. Any suggestions greatly appreciated, many thanks.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel from Basingstoke to London Gatwick airport

Go a few hours earlier the night before. I live where there there is a once an hour service to gatwick, several times waiting for my train, which is about 10 minutes later, I have heard "xx43 to gatwick is canceled". That wouldn't be your train but it happens and I guess its more likely with engineering works going on at night.

In any case you'll be a *lot* more comfortable waiting in a warm airport, than hanging around CJ at 130am , and you may even be able to get some sleep, either on a bench/floor at gatwick or in the Yotel, which you can rent for as little as 4 hours.

Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Eastleigh, Winchester
Level Contributor
4,859 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel from Basingstoke to London Gatwick airport

Late night public transport in the UK is sparse.

One option might be to leave a bit earlier and then try to get a bit of sleep at the airport.

23:13 Basingstoke 23:56 Clapham Junction 00h 43

00:11 Clapham Junction 00:42 Gatwick Airport 00h 31

If you don't fancy sleeping on the terminal seats their is a capsule hotel in the terminal that you can book by the hour www.yotel.com

Sydney
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel from Basingstoke to London Gatwick airport

Thats a great idea, many thanks for your help.

Sydney
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel from Basingstoke to London Gatwick airport

Many thanks for the feedback especially services at Gatwick.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
31,689 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel from Basingstoke to London Gatwick airport

sleepinginairports.net/europe/londongatwick.…

6. Re: Travel from Basingstoke to London Gatwick airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:15 am, October 01, 2010
Get answers to your questions about Basingstoke