We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Scotland-Bolton by train

scotland
Level Contributor
7 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Scotland-Bolton by train

Hi all, looking for some advice as coming down to the Bolton Arena for a tennis tournie in a couple of weeks-usually drive but fancy taking the train. Been on the train sites but the price is unbelievable anyone any ideas on how to get costs down for father and son (u14) out on 28th back on 31st DEc(great timing I know!!)And best way to get to Bolton arena from the train staion-thanks in anticipation

Lancashire
Level Contributor
666 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Scotland-Bolton by train

Firstly Bloton Arena is at Horwich (slightly north of Bolton) The good news is that Horwich parkway is vitually at the door stop of the station

You dont say where your coming from so its hard to give you best train deal

Transpennine operate direct services to Manchester Airport and most stop at Horwich. You can usually buy discounted advance tickets for these services

Another option might be to buy an advance fare to Preston with virgin then buy an off peak return Preston to Horwich which takes about 20 mins and is an 1/2 hourly service

You dont mention accom but maybe you need that too so.... theres an holiday inn express and a De vere (at reebok stadium) both within easy reach

Lancashire
Level Contributor
666 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Scotland-Bolton by train

Something else to think about is a rail card

Family & Friends Railcard - £24 for a whole year

Travelling with kids?

Save 1/3 on most adult fares and 60% on child fares with a Family & Friends Railcard.

Family & Friends Railcard discounts now even apply to ALL Standard Class Advance fares. Up to four adults and four kids can travel on one Family & Friends Railcard and they don’t need to be related! At least one named cardholder and one child must be travelling together for the whole journey.

scotland
Level Contributor
7 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Scotland-Bolton by train

Martincat-thats really helpful thanks-FYI I would be coming from dundee area (arbroath Actually). Its ages since I ahve used a train and although I think I am fairly intelligent im finding it really confusing to get the best route and deal online and my local station is never manned so difficult to work out best thing to do-thanks again-I would never have thought of going via preston without your input and yet that looks best for me ps I managed to get one of those really good de vere offers so staying at the reebok stadium

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
Level Contributor
7,181 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Scotland-Bolton by train

According to http://www.thetrainline.com the off peak return fare is £78.40. It doesn't save any money getting a ticket to Preston, I don't think.

Lancashire
Level Contributor
666 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Scotland-Bolton by train

http://nationalrail.co.uk/ is the main site for train tickets

I dine a quick search and found standard adult fares for Dundee Motherwell £26 and Motherwell Preston £33 Which give you a saving on £78

There was also a number of advance tickets availble on the Motherwell Prestn route.

For your journey you will need to head to edinburgh then over to glasgow / motherwell to pick up the west coast main line services to preston.

The transpennine service to manchster airport from edinburgh no longer stops at Horwich following the recent timetable change

On Sunday mornings (midnight to 10ish) there are engineering works following the new timtable so no early morning

My suggestion would be buy the family railcard then buy the full off peak fare tickets which will give you full flexibility and then sit back and relax enjoying the scenery roll by

6. Re: Scotland-Bolton by train

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:20 pm, September 13, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Bolton