We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

PlusBus Expert Needed - Bus, Real Ale and Good Grub

Which Crawley hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Canada
Level Contributor
142 posts
71 reviews
Save Topic
PlusBus Expert Needed - Bus, Real Ale and Good Grub

We will be arriving in Crawley (Ibis Hotel) about noon with a Plusbus (good for Crawley, Gatwick, Horley, Ifield and Three Bridges) ticket in hand. My spouse and I would love to take a “back roads bus trip” i.e. no expressways, where we can see a bit of the local country, stop at a pub or two, have a ramble about some cobblestoned village and be back in Crawley by midnight. Can anyone suggest a routing? All suggestions welcome. In return, I will give my honest opinions about your Olympic Budget Control Committee. (or maybe I should keep my mouth shut about the self-obvious ...)

England
Destination Expert
for Peak District National Park
Level Contributor
4,493 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: PlusBus Expert Needed - Bus, Real Ale and Good Grub

I am not an expert on this area but I suspect that you might struggle to do this on a PlusBus ticket, as most of the bus routes covered by it are services to towns and housing estates. Bus services to "backroad" villages also tend to finish at about 5pm and do not run on Sundays

However if someone can suggest some suitable villages in the area and you can tell us what date you will be making this journey, I will be happy to research the bus times for you.

Phil-the-Bus

Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
Level Contributor
13,649 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: PlusBus Expert Needed - Bus, Real Ale and Good Grub

The Crawley Plusbus map is here

plusbus.info/sites/…Crawley_0.pdf

Canada
Level Contributor
142 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: PlusBus Expert Needed - Bus, Real Ale and Good Grub

For Phil-the-bus: I was thinking of towns like Dorking, Horsham or the Box Hill area. We will be in Crawley on a Wednesday.

For Bobelinks: When I booked the Plusbus on Southern's rail site, it listed a number of transit operators for which the ticket would be valid. Does the Crawley map that you attached include all these operators?

And, as a separate question, we will be coming from the south and will be stopping at Crawley rail station before Gatwick rail station. To get to the Ibis Hotel in Crawley, would it be easier to get off at Crawley and walk to their bus station or wait until the Gatwick station and backtrack to Crawley? ( I am having a bit of trouble relatiing bus times and relative distances.)

Thanks again.

East Sussex, United...
Destination Expert
for West Sussex, East Sussex
Level Contributor
5,284 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: PlusBus Expert Needed - Bus, Real Ale and Good Grub

I'm not aware of any cobbled streets in the Crawley area - Rye is the only place that springs to mind in Sussex that has them, and that's a looong way away.

But all is not lost. Forget the Plusbus idea for the reasons Phil mentions, and take the 271 bus to Staplefield (25 mins), where you will find 2 good pubs (The Jolly Tanners is excellent for real ales), a lovely village green and a lovely walk up Tanyard Lane to the former home of Lord Snowdon and Princess Margaret with some beautiful lakes, below Nymans Gardens.

metrobus.co.uk/download/…

Can't find the route online at present, but this will give you an idea of the area - and an alternative start and finish point. walkingclub.org.uk/book_1/walk_16/index.shtml

This is lovely countryside within easy striking distance of Gatwick. Let us know how you get on ?

Mike

Canada
Level Contributor
142 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: PlusBus Expert Needed - Bus, Real Ale and Good Grub

Thanks Argyle Mickey for your advice. In the true amateur Olympic event of Cheap Travel, you get the Gold Medal. I will indeed do a follow up post after our trip. And, I will hoist a glass or two of Real Ale and toast your health.

England
Destination Expert
for Peak District National Park
Level Contributor
4,493 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: PlusBus Expert Needed - Bus, Real Ale and Good Grub

The 271 timetable from 1st September is available here: metrobus.co.uk/download/…. There are a lot of bus timetable changes in this area at the start of September - when are you travelling Mary ?

With regard to the other operators in the PlusBus area, I can't find any timetables on their websites that will be much help to you - the PlusBus area is too small and built up.

Finally, to get to the Ibis, I think that the best way would be to get off at Crawley and cross over the road to the bus station to get bus 100 towards Gatwick which runs every 20 minutes - see metrobus.co.uk/download/… for map of bus stops in Crawley.

Phil-the-Bus

Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
Level Contributor
13,649 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: PlusBus Expert Needed - Bus, Real Ale and Good Grub

Plusbus will be valid on Metrobus (including 'Fastway' services), Southdown PSV, and Compass Travel, but only within the area shown on the map.

Canada
Level Contributor
142 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: PlusBus Expert Needed - Bus, Real Ale and Good Grub

Thanks all. I really appreciate your feedback. BTW I will be in Crawley from September 19 to 21, 2012.

9. Re: PlusBus Expert Needed - Bus, Real Ale and Good Grub

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:16 pm, August 21, 2013