We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Copthorne LGW versus Crowne Plaza LGW

Which Crawley hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Bristol, England
Level Contributor
691 posts
510 reviews
Save Topic
Copthorne LGW versus Crowne Plaza LGW

Has anyone stayed at either the Copthorne London Gatwick or the Crowne Plaza, London Gatwick recently?

I'm looking for an overnight stay prior to a 09.30 flight, with 15 days parking.

Both these hotels are rated at 4* and parking / hotel package price is similar (Crowne Plaza slightly more). Looks like the Copthorne has more "character" but some reports says it's a bit run down.

Would be grateful for any comments.

thanks

Brissle

Bromsgrove, United...
Level Contributor
1,322 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Copthorne LGW versus Crowne Plaza LGW

Brissle - I have recently booked up with the Sofitel Gatwick (It used to be called the Meridian)

The main thing for me was that the hotel is linked to the North Terminal via a walkway.The North temonal is used for a lot of Caribbean flights.

If you google the hotel you will get an idea of price.

We paid £175 for one nights stay and 15 days parking for when we go in November.

Hope this helps.

Bristol, England
Level Contributor
691 posts
510 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Copthorne LGW versus Crowne Plaza LGW

thanks stevenC

I have found several alternatives on the Saga Travel site - they use Holiday Extras but are cheaper.

Amongst the deals including 2 weeks parking, was the Arora which is a pretty good price.

And they will bring our car to North Terminal to meet us on our return.....

We were put off the Copthorne by reports of it being a bit run down and the Crowne Plaza only offers a transfer once an hour, so that didn't seem too clever.

But I've looked up your suggestion and I agree the location is good. However we don't mind being a bit further away because we know a good pub for dinner.....Ye Olde Six Bells in Horley..... and will probably drive there before we park the car for the holiday.

But thanks for your help anyway

(Can't wait to get to some sunshine and warmth - only 6 weeks to go...)

cheers

Brissle

Bromsgrove, United...
Level Contributor
1,322 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Copthorne LGW versus Crowne Plaza LGW

Brissle - Where are you going on holiday?...It's St Lucia for us mid November via a fantastic deal out ofthe Mail on Sunday.

2 weeks all inclusive.......can't wait.

Bristol, England
Level Contributor
691 posts
510 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Copthorne LGW versus Crowne Plaza LGW

We are off to Dominican Republic for 2 weeks - in the Excellence Resort Punta Cana. They are described as "an ultimate 5* luxury All Inclusive" chain which we discovered a couple of years ago. We stayed at each of their 2 Mexico resorts on previous occasions. Not the cheapest AI but we got a brilliant deal and are very happy with the lap of luxury every now and then.

We've seen some of the Daily Mail offers and were looking for something for this autumn but have been to St Lucia a few times (love the island) and wanted to try something new with guaranteed weather.

Where are you staying?

Brissle.

Bromsgrove, United...
Level Contributor
1,322 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Copthorne LGW versus Crowne Plaza LGW

Brissle - Instead of clogging up this thread, I'll send you a personal message.

6. Re: Copthorne LGW versus Crowne Plaza LGW

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:36 am, October 11, 2009