We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Time to spare

Which Crawley hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Edinburgh
1 post
Save Topic
Time to spare

We will be in Gatwick airport for 10 hours waiting for a connecting flight so is there anything to see or do in the surrounding area? We don't want to travel too far or spend a fortune before we start our holiday

Bobby & Susie

Brighton, United...
Destination Expert
for Brighton
Level Contributor
4,437 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Time to spare

there's nothing to do and see in Crawley (sorry Crawley-ites) so get the train to Brighton, takes 30mins, and spend the day sight-seeing and mooching around the Lanes and seafront, then a meal and a drink etc, and still have plenty of time to get back to LGW for your flight.

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
23 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Time to spare

Hehe, that is true (I grew up in Crawley for 21 years, only recently escaped!), there is not much to see there!

However if you want to pass the time rather than "sightsee", you can go bowling, go to the cinema (13 screens Cineworld, not to be sniffed at), do some shopping (town centre has been/is being regenerated) or have a wander in the parks (if the weather is agreeable).

There are loads of places to eat in town centre, the usual fast food, or chain restaurants (Bella Pasta, TGI Fridays etc), or ethnic food (various Chinese/Indian places), or pubs.

The only reason I can think of going to Crawley rather than London/Brighton is that it is so close and the bus service into town is excellent (one every 10 minutes, all day every day) and cheap - about £2.50 last time I used it. However the train to either London or Brighton will take about an hour and cost about £10-£15 (I haven't taken that train recently so cost may be more nowadays!)

I used to work outside Gatwick airport ringroad and I actually walked from my home in the west of Crawley to my office, which was about 3.5 miles, so that gives you an idea of how convenient the town is.

The "Crawley Leisure Park" is where the bowling/cinema/big chain restaurants are, and if you look on a map of the town, it is the triangular area bordered by Ifield Avenue, A23 and A2219. The number 10 bus from the airport goes right past it.

Goffs Park is small but quite pleasant for a picnic (and has a nice old pub round the back of it, the Goffs Manor pub) and situated to the south of town centre - perhaps a 5-10 minute walk from the bus station. You get into the park next to the level crossing where the A220 crosses the railway. If you follow the A220 along, the pub is on Old Horsham Road.

Alternatively, if you want to stroll around some greenery, Tilgate Park is bigger and situated in the far southeast of the town.

Especially if it is a sunny day, you can easily spend 10 hours in Crawley, and that's what I'd do if I were waiting for a flight :-)

Hope that is helpful.

-Zannah-

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
23 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Time to spare

... not that I am downplaying the appeal of Brighton, it is a fantastic place, but if you are not interested in pebble beaches, the pier or the Lanes then most things you can do there you can do more cheaply in Crawley (food, cinema and beer costs inparticular)! :-)

4. Re: Time to spare

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:17 pm, October 03, 2009