We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Allow more time for Avebury/Long Barrow or Stonehenge

Loveland, Colorado
Level Contributor
227 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Allow more time for Avebury/Long Barrow or Stonehenge

This forum has given me some excellent ideas for my coming trip. I've decided to work in a few days at Penzance and the Cornwall Coast. To do so in an efficient manner and route I'm planning on doing so while in this area rather than backtracking at the end of my trip.

As I'll be driving from Oxford and then driving onward to the Southwest (I'll probably skip Bath), should I allocate more time at Stonehenge or at Avebury/Kennet Long Barrow? I'm basing this on the 90 minute +/- drive from Oxford and the 3 1/2 hour +/- drive to Penzance.

Either way I may decide to see a bit of some of the other coastal towns/areas. Once I leave the Southwest area I'll head North to the Lake District, Durham and then finish at Peak District NP.

Thanks in advance for all your help.

Frank

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,382 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Allow more time for Avebury/Long Barrow or Stonehenge

Avebury deserves more time. You can walk up to the stones + the avenur + walk to the barrow via silbury hill. The village also has a number of additional attractions.

Redlands, California
Level Contributor
6,130 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Allow more time for Avebury/Long Barrow or Stonehenge

Avebury is one of my favorite places in the U.K. and is worth at least a few hours. As DomingoYork said above, there's a nice church and Avebury Manor--even if you don't go inside, the gardens are lovely. I like to take a picnic and prop myself up on a stone while I "contemplate."

Northamptonshire...
Destination Expert
for Bedfordshire, Northamptonshire, Cotswolds
Level Contributor
5,308 posts
1,584 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Allow more time for Avebury/Long Barrow or Stonehenge

I must add that viewing the stones at Avebury is free of charge.

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
42,262 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Allow more time for Avebury/Long Barrow or Stonehenge

It is indeed free, but if you park at the NT car park and are not a member, you will have to pay for parking...in some respect more interesting than the stones is the Avebury manor and the gardens, I was there just yesterday.

Northamptonshire...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,308 posts
1,584 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Allow more time for Avebury/Long Barrow or Stonehenge

We never visited the manor and the gardens Tilly,a shame,we parked in the car park opposite The Henge shop and lapped the village.We turned down a little lane situated off the High St and past the stones continuing to the church(never went in).Oh what a lottery win would do!!

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
42,262 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Allow more time for Avebury/Long Barrow or Stonehenge

You should join the National Trust shane, the annual subscription is about £100 for 2, and I would have spent £20 yesterday just for the parking and the manor....it's really worthwhile.

The church is lovely and the tea shop is nice too:)

Northamptonshire...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,308 posts
1,584 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Allow more time for Avebury/Long Barrow or Stonehenge

When we return from holiday we will join.The tea shop was not open when we walked through(we were too early).I am very tempted to "swop" our four nights in the Cotswolds in October and book four nights in the Avebury/Lacock/Castle Combe areas instead.

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Avebury, Egypt
Level Contributor
6,109 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Allow more time for Avebury/Long Barrow or Stonehenge

" ... we parked in the car park opposite The Henge shop ... "

Please feel free to correct me if I am wrong ... I thought that particular car park was designated for villagers only? It used to be open for all before the National Trust transformed a large field (well signposted) into a car park, since when I have been directing visitors to the National Trust car park, informing them that is free to N.T. members, others have to pay.

Normally I would spend about half a day (weather permitting - the site is very exposed) in and around Avebury, more if I were visiting the Manor (closed last time I was there) and small museum, as the site covers a large area. And I would always spend 20 - 30 minutes contemplating Silbury Hill (free parking with picnic tables).

For more details, see www.nationaltrust.org.uk/avebury

You may also enjoy browsing the Henge shop, see www.hengeshop.com

Northamptonshire...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,308 posts
1,584 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Allow more time for Avebury/Long Barrow or Stonehenge

That car park is for permit holders and blue badge holders too.We are the latter.

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
42,262 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Allow more time for Avebury/Long Barrow or Stonehenge

Pausi, I stopped at Silbury Hill for not more than 5 minutes, the weather yesterday was very unpredictable with snow showers and sleet.....but even on a good day, I don't think I would have stopped for much longer...the parking there is free, but I didn't see any picnic tables.