We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Central location for visiting Avebury, Stonehenge and Bath

Loveland, Colorado
Level Contributor
227 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Central location for visiting Avebury, Stonehenge and Bath

I'm doing a three week holiday and want to spend two (?) Days in the seeing Stonehenge, Avebury, including the barrows, and Bath. Does 2 days seem about right? I'll be driving down from Oxford and traveling alone so no kids or other to slow me down.

Should I plan on staying in the same place two nights or change towns.

I'd also be interested in recommendations for hotels or preferably B&Bs, up to 120 pounds per night.

Thanks in advance.

London
Destination Expert
for London, Devon
Level Contributor
24,082 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Central location for visiting Avebury, Stonehenge and Bath

>>> I'll be driving down from Oxford <<<

And then driving on to where afterwards?

Loveland, Colorado
Level Contributor
227 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Central location for visiting Avebury, Stonehenge and Bath

I'll be heading north to Peak District NP. I may detour to Stratford upon Avon but still north.

Thanks

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
987 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Central location for visiting Avebury, Stonehenge and Bath

We spent three nights in Bath in October. We drove from London and visited Avebury and the West Kennet Long Barrow on the way to Bath. We then did a day trip from Bath to see Stonehenge and Salisbury. The third day we spent in Bath itself.

You could certainly visit the Long Barrow, Avebury and Stonehenge on the way from Oxford to Bath. However, your time will be limited at each, unless you get an early start from Oxford.

We stayed at a fabulous B&B on Midford Road in the hills south of Bath, called High Beeches B&B. Their tariffs are within your budget. Highly recommended.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
3,155 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Central location for visiting Avebury, Stonehenge and Bath

Hi Frank,

Just a couple of ideas that might appeal and balance budget.

Your Salisbury Plain locations?

https:/…the-bath-arms

and then go and stay just outside Bath with easy parking in a unique location often used for filming.

http://www.georgeinnnsp.co.uk/home

You can then enjoy a scenic local hourly bus jorney to Bath (7 miles/25 mins) with a chauffeur because City car parking is impracticable.

firstgroup.com/ukbus/…20267.pdf

Edited: 6:09 pm, April 17, 2016
Loveland, Colorado
Level Contributor
227 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Central location for visiting Avebury, Stonehenge and Bath

Thanks Canuck and John. Some great suggestions. I don't want to rush either Avebury or Stonehenge so I might try to see one or the other on the drive day. As I won't have my rent car until the day I leave Oxford, and I may go to bletchley that morning. Doing that would restrict my time that day but still leave time to see one as the daylight lasts longer.

I think Stonehenge is probably a quicker visit.

What do you think?

Thanks

Loveland, Colorado
Level Contributor
227 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Central location for visiting Avebury, Stonehenge and Bath

John W. Thanks for those recommendations. I just booked The Bath Arms (unfortunately I had alerted my credit card company based on my departure date, and even though my card was not charged yet I guess the activity alerted the CC company's computer) and immediately got an email and text from my CC issuer.

I haven't booked the George Inn as yet because no point in hearing from the bank again. I made the mistake of reading the menu at the George and now I'm very hungry.

You mentioned about parking. Did you mean leaving the car at the hotel or is there a nearby Park & Ride lot? I always try to avoid driving in cities. Not picking up my rental car until after Cambridge and Oxford.

Very reasonable rate at the Bath Arms. I didn't see a breakfast menu for either one. If they don't offer even a continental breakfast I suppose there is always someplace close to get breakfast?

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
42,267 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Central location for visiting Avebury, Stonehenge and Bath

If you've not made your mind yet where to stay...look at Lacock...that's sort of central to all your planned visits and very close to one of the loveliest villages Castle Combe.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
3,155 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Central location for visiting Avebury, Stonehenge and Bath

Hi again.

Yes, we suggest your staying in an hotel or B&B with guest parking and walk.

Also we have actually stayed at the George (delightful building and setting) and used the above bus service which avoids stress!

There is parking in central Bath IF you stay in accommodation eg

http://www.beckford-house.com/

otherwise, perhaps,

visitbath.co.uk/travel-and-maps/bath-park-an…

Full breakfast in Bath Arms and the George by the way.

Edited: 5:12 am, April 18, 2016
Loveland, Colorado
Level Contributor
227 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Central location for visiting Avebury, Stonehenge and Bath

John w. Thanks so much for the recommendation on the Bath Arms. It's location made it easily accessible after Stonehenge and easy to reach Avebury the next morning. Their dinner specials are a great value as well. I may search for another one next week for either Mexican Monday or steak Tuesday.

10. Re: Central location for visiting Avebury, Stonehenge and Bath

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:17 pm, August 09, 2017