We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fastest way from Gatwick or Heathrow to Swindon

Vancouver Island...
Level Contributor
15 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Fastest way from Gatwick or Heathrow to Swindon

Hi All....I'm thinking of coming to Devizes for crop circle season the last week of July. I'm weighing the benefits of landing at Heathrow or Gatwick and researching the fastest mode of transport to Swindon (bus or train--I'm not driving). Any advice you can give a Canadian gal would be appreciated. I've read that a taxi from Swindon to Devizes is probably the best way to get to Devizes, but do taxis operate at all hours, or only 9 to 5. All those little local quirks would be appreciated so I can avoid being left on the side of the road with my suitcase. Been there, done that :) Thanks very much for any info you can provide :)

Watford, United...
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
44,058 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fastest way from Gatwick or Heathrow to Swindon

Heathrow is nearer and easy enough but Gatwick might actually be easier and cheaper

From Heathro take the Railair coach to Reading then train to Swindon. The cheapest advance single fare is currently £14.80 but that would tie you down to a particular train so doesn't allow for delays.

From Gatwick you can take the train all the way although you will need to change at Reading. It would take nearly two hours and there is only one train per hour from Gatwick to Reading but fares start from £8.90.

www.nationalrail.co.uk

GBfromDevizes lives (surprise, surprise!) often pops up on here and is the best person to ask about getting there from Swindon.

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fastest way from Gatwick or Heathrow to Swindon

I've read that a taxi from Swindon to Devizes is probably the best way to get to Devizes

--------

Well that's certainly true if money is no object and you are starting in Swindon.

But if speed is your only concern then a taxi from Heathrow will be fastest followed by a direct coach*, which will be considerably cheaper, though that doesn't appear to be an issue for you?

*The coach will be slower if only because it will stop on the way and won't leave as soon as you are ready which obviously a taxi will.

England
Destination Expert
for Peak District National Park
Level Contributor
5,440 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fastest way from Gatwick or Heathrow to Swindon

Where did you read that a taxi was the best way to get from Swindon to Devizes ? The normal recommendation on TA is to use bus 49 which runs from Swindon to Devizes every hour - see www.stagecoachbus.com/getTimetable.ashx… .

Also be aware that there are National Express coaches from Heathrow Airport to Swindon, and an early evening direct coach from Heathrow to Devizes.

Phil-the-Bus

Vancouver Island...
Level Contributor
15 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fastest way from Gatwick or Heathrow to Swindon

Thanks everybody!! I guess I should have been a bit more clear. I will need to get from either Heathrow or Gatwick to Devizes for a conference. The fastest and most direct way, and yes, money is a big issue, given that our CAD $ is half the value of your pound sterling and probably by summer will be less than that. Again, sorry if my previous info was misleading, and thank you so much for your time and responses!

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fastest way from Gatwick or Heathrow to Swindon

yes, money is a big issue

-------

In which case have you checked out the cost of flights into the two airports, because you might find that Gatwick is considerably cheaper (I suspect you will) so travel from Heathrow might be a theoretical thing only.

England, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fastest way from Gatwick or Heathrow to Swindon

Hi I too would like to know of transport available from Gatwick North terminal to Swindon, it doesn't have to be the fastest or cheapest, but I am arriving on a Friday and know the motorways are busy at that time, my arrival time is 12.30pm, much appreciated, Pam, Harare

London
Destination Expert
for London, Devon
Level Contributor
24,090 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Fastest way from Gatwick or Heathrow to Swindon

Pam C, the information is contained in reply no. 1. Have you read the thread?

From Gatwick you can take the train all the way although you will need to change at Reading. It would take nearly two hours and there is only one train per hour from Gatwick to Reading but fares start from £8.90.

www.nationalrail.co.uk

England
Destination Expert
for Peak District National Park
Level Contributor
5,440 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Fastest way from Gatwick or Heathrow to Swindon

Pam - Your choice is...

- Train from Gatwick to Reading, then another train to Swindon - see http://www.nationalrail.co.uk

- National Express motorway coach from Gatwick Heathrow airport, then another coach to Swindon - see http://www.nationalexpress.com .

Unfortunately the coach service is not that frequent, so the train would probably be better on this occasion.

Phil-the-Bus

Edited: 4:51 am, May 12, 2014
Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,394 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Fastest way from Gatwick or Heathrow to Swindon

There's loads of possibilities:

Take the coach to Heathrow and another from there to Swindon

Take a train to Reading and another to Swindon

Take a train/bus to London and another train/bus to Swindon

Wiltshire, England
Level Contributor
307 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Fastest way from Gatwick or Heathrow to Swindon

Before you book flights, make sure you can get accommodation. We have very few beds in Devizes and usually book up well in advance for the conference weekend. My B&B has been full for ages and I've had a number of enquiries I've had to pass on elswehere. If staying out of town you would need transport as events run into the evening when public transport is pretty much non-existent.