We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

London to Swindon - train or coach?

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
306 posts
119 reviews
Save Topic
London to Swindon - train or coach?

I'm arriving from Australia, and after a few nights in London to see the sights I'll be travelling to Swindon to visit family.

The National Express website has options for travel by Coach (2 hrs 20 mins), and train ( 1 hour).

Prices seem similar - is the train really an hour faster? Is there any advantage to catching a coach, such as comfort or convenience? And is the coach station in Swindon close to the train station?

Thanks - planning on booking my tickets shortly so I can advise my family in Highworth of when and where I'll arrive.

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
Swindon
Swindon
Wiltshire, UK
Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
34,718 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: London to Swindon - train or coach?

"is the train really an hour faster?" : It's an hour & 20 minutes faster

"Is there any advantage to catching a coach": No

"And is the coach station in Swindon close to the train station?" : Its on New Bridge Street - about five minutes walk from the railway station

Mentioned in this post
Swindon
Swindon
Wiltshire, UK
Berkshire
Level Contributor
186 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: London to Swindon - train or coach?

The train from Paddington calls at Reading Didcot and Swindon and really does take 1 hour. The coach I suggest also makes stops along the way but hangs around for a while which probably makes the time difference that much more and you have to contend with the M4.

I would take the train

Mentioned in this post
Reading
Reading
Berkshire, UK
Swindon
Swindon
Wiltshire, UK
Wiltshire, England
Level Contributor
307 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: London to Swindon - train or coach?

Much depends on your timings - there are lots of trains to Swindon and if you miss one you can get the next, depending on your ticket. The coach is cheaper but really is slower and there'll be less choice of times. It just takes longer by road, even without heavy traffic.

I find the train more comforatble - as long as you get a seat - and the loos are tiny in the coach!

Mentioned in this post
Swindon
Swindon
Wiltshire, UK
Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,395 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: London to Swindon - train or coach?

Could be worth trying http://uk.megabus.com/Default.aspx - fares from £1

The Swindon stop is on the outskirts of the town near the road to Highworth and likely to be more convenient to get picked up.

But only two a day

Edited: 8:40 am, April 28, 2011
Mentioned in this post
Swindon
Swindon
Wiltshire, UK
London, United...
Level Contributor
11,395 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: London to Swindon - train or coach?

> Prices seem similar <

That will likely depend on when you book and travel, and on whether (and when) you want to come back.

Standard class single (one-way) fares vary from around £13 for a ticket tying you to a specific off-peak train, bought several weeks in advance, to £54 for a walk-up-on-the-day or anytime ticket.

Return (round trip) fares will vary from £21 for a cheap-day return tied to specific off-peak trains, to double the single fare.

> train ( 1 hour).

From Paddington. Depending where you are in London it might take you longer to get there than to Victoria coach station.

Edited: 8:51 am, April 28, 2011
Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
England
Destination Expert
for Peak District National Park
Level Contributor
5,366 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: London to Swindon - train or coach?

Unlike some other countries, trains in the UK are usually much faster than taking a road coach and it is not unusual for the coach to take twice as long. In this case the road coach calls into Heathrow airport which accounts for some of the delay.

However, the train fares are often higher because of this and so the fares you have found may be discount advanced fares which can only be used on specific trains.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
306 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: London to Swindon - train or coach?

Thanks guys.

Cotswolds - that Megabus site is great. They have 1 pound journeys for my dates.

Despite the longer travel time, I think I'll take the bus, as it'll be an easier pick-up for my family.

Thanks everyone!

Mentioned in this post
Cotswolds
Cotswolds
England, UK
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
306 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: London to Swindon - train or coach?

Sorry dzug1 - I think I just called you by your town name.

Mind you, when I was backpacking the american kids used to call me Brisbane, which I rather enjoyed!

Thanks again for the link.

9. Re: London to Swindon - train or coach?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:15 am, July 18, 2013