We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

travel from swindon to wolverhampton

Wollongong
Level Contributor
37 posts
66 reviews
Save Topic
travel from swindon to wolverhampton

Hi. I'll be staying in England in October, and will need to travel from Devizes to Wolverhampton. Is this possible by public transport (eg by train from Swindon?).

If I decide to get a hire car, is it a difficult and stressful drive from Devizes to Bilston....?( I'm a bit of a nervous driver.)

I'd appreciate your advice.

Mentioned in this post
England
England
United Kingdom
Wolverhampton
Wolverhampton
West Midlands, UK
Swindon
Swindon
Wiltshire, UK
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
32,551 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: travel from swindon to wolverhampton

Train Swindon to Wolverhampton www.firstgreatwestern.co.uk

Mentioned in this post
Swindon
Swindon
Wiltshire, UK
Wolverhampton
Wolverhampton
West Midlands, UK
East Midlands
Destination Expert
for Northamptonshire
Level Contributor
2,851 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: travel from swindon to wolverhampton

If you're a nervous driver and you decide to hire a car then the trip from Devizes to Bilston is about 125 miles and most of that 125 miles is on good A roads or dual carriageways and motorways. The M5/M6 junction can be busy at most times and especially busy if you do this journey on a Saturday morning /early afternoon and some of the local football teams are playing at home or during the rush hour.

The journey from the M6 to the centre of Bilston is relatively straight forward and well sign posted and, again, only rush hour or football traffic would make this a little more difficult.

If I was driving it I would allow myself 3 hours driving time (not including any rest stops you may want to make) and hope to do it in 2½.

England
Destination Expert
for Peak District National Park
Level Contributor
5,207 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: travel from swindon to wolverhampton

It looks like the most sensible bus/rail choices are...

- Bus 49 to Swindon, then train to Bristol Parkway, then train to Wolverhampton;

- Bus 49 to Swindon, then train to Cheltenham, then train to Wolverhampton;

- Bus 271 / 272 / 273 to Bath, then train to Bristol Temple Meads, then train to Wolverhampton.

Links to bus timetables from Devizes are available on the following web page:

wiltshireandbeyond.co.uk/devizes/bus_local_b…

Seems fairly simple and so as the buses and trains run at least once an hour (except on Sundays), unless you have already hired a car during your stay in Devizes, there should be no no need to hire one especially for this trip.

Phil-the-Bus

Mentioned in this post
Bristol
Bristol
England, UK
Wolverhampton
Wolverhampton
West Midlands, UK
Cheltenham
Cheltenham
Cotswolds, UK
East Midlands
Destination Expert
for Northamptonshire
Level Contributor
2,851 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: travel from swindon to wolverhampton

You'll then need to find a way from the train station to Bilston. The bus station in Wolverhampton is a five minute walk from the rail station and they'll be a number of buses heading off into Bilston from there.

Mentioned in this post
Wolverhampton
Wolverhampton
West Midlands, UK
5. Re: travel from swindon to wolverhampton

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, October 13, 2010