We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Swindon Next Week

Which Swindon hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Topic
Swindon Next Week

I will be in swindon next week for some work,

Any advise on what I should do or look at while I am there, any nice places nearby.

Have been to Bath.

Essex
Level Contributor
27,157 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Swindon Next Week

Swindon is close to the Uffington Vale, with the White Horse, Uffington Hill, and Waylands Smithy, which is an ancient dolmen.

There are other more 'modern' White Horses in the region, carved into the hills at Broad Town, near to Broad Hinton, Cherhill, Roundway, Alton Barnes Southcott and Manton.

Lambourn could be worth a visit very early in the morning, if you'd like to see racehorses out training on the gallops on Lambourn Down. Wantage is another place where training stables can be found, and Newbury has a great racecourse, perhaps there will be a meet while you are there.

Marlbourough is an attractive small town to visit, and there are many very pretty villages in the area.

Malmesbury is also another pretty town.

You would be in striking distance of Salisbury, with it's great Cathederal, Stonehenge not too far away, and Avebury with it's own stone circle might interest you.

Otherwise, ask your work colleagues what they like, and if they have any places they could recommend for you - hell, they might even take you there!!

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Swindon Next Week

Hi there

Essex has it all pretty much covered. All I'd add is that Swindon has a wonderfu STEAM museum, dedicated to the days when the town had one of the largest railway works in the country and if you enjoy historic old towns, hop on the 49 bus from Swindon to Devizes, where you will find lots to see and do.

The 49 passes right through Avebury by the way if you wanted to see the village and stones.

3. Re: Swindon Next Week

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:23 am, August 18, 2009