We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

East Midlands Train from St. Pancras to Derby

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
56 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
East Midlands Train from St. Pancras to Derby

I am planning a close connection on Oct. 3 from the Eurostar, arriving at 3:17pm, to an East Midlands train to Derby, leaving at 3:30pm. I have been told that the 2 trains are just 1 escalator ride up.

I can make the connection though I'll be slowed by my luggage, if I have my EM ticket in hand and know exactly where I'm going. I looked online to buy the ticket and believe that the online charge of $152 is more handling fee than ticket.

So, my questions--(a) is there a way to buy that ticket in advance at local prices and have it mailed to me and (b) is there a website where I can map out exactly my route from the Eurostar platform to the EM platform? There won't be any margin for error.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Dottie

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
2,672 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: East Midlands Train from St. Pancras to Derby

If you book a ticket through from Paris to Derby from Eurostar you print both parts out at a machine in Paris before chcking in. If the Eurostar is delayed you will be able to take a later train from London as you are on a through ticket.

If you are at the back of an 18 coach Eurostar just walking to the exit can take a good few minutes and there is always a achance of being stopped by customs. Give yourself 30 minutes or so and admire the restored St Pancras station.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
56 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: East Midlands Train from St. Pancras to Derby

Thanks!!!!

Derbyshire, United...
Level Contributor
167 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: East Midlands Train from St. Pancras to Derby

"buy a through ticket fro Paris to Derby ..... and see if East Mildands will mail a ticket to the US"

If you buy the through ticket surely you won't need to deal with East Midlands Trains for ticketing?

East Midlands
Destination Expert
for Northamptonshire
Level Contributor
2,851 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: East Midlands Train from St. Pancras to Derby

Assuming that you try for a close connection (maybe not you given the advice you've had but other readers perhaps) be warned that if you are in one of the rear carriages of the Eurostar train then it can easily take 10-15 minutes to walk from the carriage, along the Eurostar platform and then through the station to the East Midlands platforms. Not everyone can walk quickly/run with luggage and the distance involved can be significant (much less of an issue if you are near the front of the train).

[Note - I didn't see railenthusiasts comment]

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
56 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: East Midlands Train from St. Pancras to Derby

Thanks to all! You provided important information that I couldn't have gotten otherwise, including East Midlands Customer Service.

Result- I bought a Comfort level Eurostar ticket now before prices go up and seats are limited, will buy the later London-Derby ticket when those tickets go on sale and have it sent to a relative's address in France where I'll be prior to the UK segment of my trip. The traveler can't make the seat assignment on the Eurostar so logically it's first-come-first-served. By buying that segment now at a higher class, I hope to have a seat fairly forward on the train to shorten the luggage-hauling trek to the EM platform. The later train to Derby should be easy to reach in plenty of time.

Thanks to all of you super TripAdvisor Forum members! No way could I have found the information you've given me that's been essential in making the France/UK part of my trip work! The EM Trains customer Service was of very limited help as was the online map St. Pancras Station.

Southport, United...
Level Contributor
2,360 posts
Save Reply
16. Re: East Midlands Train from St. Pancras to Derby

I'm not sure what you mean by Comfort Level Eurostar ticket. I've only met Standard, Business Premier and Standard Premier tickets

Your Eurostar ticket will have the coach and seat number on it. You cannot just sit where you like. On www.eurostar.com I believe you can choose your seat.

17. Re: East Midlands Train from St. Pancras to Derby

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:53 am, June 11, 2014
Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,386 posts
Save Reply
18. Re: East Midlands Train from St. Pancras to Derby

I'm moderately sure you cannot have a St Pancras to Derby ticket mailed to France - most if not all the UK companies will only mail to UK addresses.

Just pick up at the machine or even buy on the day if you go for a flexible ticket

19. Re: East Midlands Train from St. Pancras to Derby

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:15 pm, July 17, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Derby