We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

help, EMA to Alton Towers

Which Derby hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Donegal
6 posts
Save Topic
help, EMA to Alton Towers

Hi, I wonder if anyone can help me. I have (foolishy) planted the idea in my friends heads that it would be fun t go to Alton Towers for the weekend, so we are. In April for three nights. We are flying into East Midlands Airport. We were gonna stay in a bnb near Alton Towers, but this may be a bad idea as Alton Towers seems to ne in the middle of nowhere so there wouldnt be much to do when it closes. Can anyone recommend a hotel that is in a town ( think Derby or Stoke are the closest) that would suit me. There are four of us travelling and not one of us has a clue.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
36,118 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: help, EMA to Alton Towers

Their web site states that we are slap bang in the middle of the UK but more like slap bang in the middle of nowhere.

Wheneve I have been there before I stayed in Stoke and drove there in the morning. At least there would be somewhere for you to go out at night.

I take it you are hiring a car from the airport?

Donegal
6 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: help, EMA to Alton Towers

thinking about it, but not sure. possibly stick with the trains but i've heard that the public transport to and from Stoke/Alton towers is bad? can you shed some light on this. and where did you stay when you went there, would you recommend this.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
36,118 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: help, EMA to Alton Towers

I'm not local so can't help with the public transport issue although looking at the AT website it does not mention any busses to their location.

It really is very rural and its around a 20-30 min drive from stoke centre so a taxi there and back would be expensive. Think your best option is car hire from the airport. Between four of you it might work out cheaper than public transport.

CAn't remembr the hotel I last stayed at but then it was not that good anyway so I wouldn't recommend it. Try the Premier Inn chain, there's one in Stoke at £55 pn. Have not stayed there but they are agood budget hotel normally

Derbyshire
Level Contributor
43 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: help, EMA to Alton Towers

Hi,

There are bus services to Alton Towers but they're not great. If you're going from Derby there's only ONE there and back. There are more from Stoke, but they take over an hour to get there, so again not ideal! Your best bet might be to go to Uttoxeter as the buses only take about 15 mins and there are I think 3 per day at about quarter past the hour at 9, 10 & 11 (from both bus & train stations). The only problem is they don't run on Sundays or Bank holidays (neither do those from Derby), but a taxi wouldn't be as steep from Uttoxeter.

If you're intending to spend a couple of days in the park you could consider staying in one of the hotels actually at the park. At least then you've only got to get there once! I think you will also find that staying in the park hotels gets you into the park early and they open up a couple of the rides early just for hotel guests. Might be pricey though!

Hope this helps

Marc

Peak District...
Level Contributor
1,921 posts
267 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: help, EMA to Alton Towers

If you take a look on the Staffordshire forum under Alton you will see a number of previous posts on this.

I think I put one up about inclusive rail/entry tickets that would enable you to stay in a town and travel daily.

Donegal
6 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: help, EMA to Alton Towers

thanks guys this helps so much, i did think of staying in Alton Towers but yeah it is pricy. But probably not too bad when you take all the travelling out of it and its pure handiness!!!

Anyway, think I will look into Uxxoter, or however you spell it. One more wee question, is there a pub in Uxxoter, and shops. Oh is there horse racing near this.

Peak District...
Level Contributor
1,921 posts
267 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: help, EMA to Alton Towers

There is a horse-racing course at Uttoxeter about a mile out of town.

Stoke-on-Trent...
Level Contributor
3,724 posts
251 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: help, EMA to Alton Towers

there isnt much to do in any of the towns around alton towers. It probaly would be best to stay at the hotel because the buses are rubbish and would cost you more in taxis to get back from anywhere.

What do you wnat to do at nite?

Have you booked a hotel yet?

There is some b&B's in alton itself.

Stoke-on-Trent...
Level Contributor
3,724 posts
251 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: help, EMA to Alton Towers

i used to live about 5 miles from alton towers

Donegal
6 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: help, EMA to Alton Towers

just go out for a few beers at night, then maybe shopping,. think we are going to stay at the quality hotel in stoke and hire a car coz we'll be there friday and saturday. would there be enough to do in alton towers to go two days in a row.

Get answers to your questions about Derby