We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Somewhere to eat in Gloucester

Lichfield
Level Contributor
1,262 posts
91 reviews
Save Topic
Somewhere to eat in Gloucester

I am coming back for a weekend in Gloucester and staying in an apartment at Gloucester Docks. I have stayed here before the apartment and the docks area are both fab. The thing I am struggling with is somewhere to eat. I am not really keen on Asian food and there does seem to be more restaurants of this style than anything else in the area. I don't really like chain restaurants where the food quality can be very poor either. Other than that, I'm open to Italian, English, pub food, anything really. The problem I've got is that the restaurant reviews are dire.

What I would really like is to find somewhere with a smart interior that does nice food. Nothing more complicated than that. Ignoring the reviews (because people can come out with some total and utter nonsense at times) does anyone have any recommendations of somewhere to eat in the city centre please. Both evening and lunchtime ideas would be really welcomed. I definitely do not want to drive out of the city centre so I don't need any suggestions for anywhere other than the city centre.

Last time we were there, we went to The Barge Restaurant and Dr Fosters and, to be honest, I was pretty underwhelmed with both of them.

Thanks in anticipation.

Gloucester, United...
Level Contributor
4,126 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Somewhere to eat in Gloucester

I don't know how long it is since you were last at the docks but there are now a few restaurants / bars adjoining the Quays development. These are however all 'chain' outlets, the likes of Nando, Portivo Lounge,Chimichanga, Zizzi. There is a Chinese there which has been closed recently and had really dire reports. The first place I can think of is The Tall Ships, at the entrance to the docks. I haven't eaten there but it does seem popular. Up in the centre of town is the Fountain Inn in Westgate Street (opposite the entrance to the Cathedral). Is has been done up recently, but again I haven't eaten there.

Unfortunately, Gloucester isn't blessed with many decent eating places, particularly if you aren't keen on Asian food which isn't my favourite either.

Lichfield
Level Contributor
1,262 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Somewhere to eat in Gloucester

Hiya Keitht

Thanks for your help. I last visited at Christmas so saw all the places open but, as I said, they are "chain" type places and don't get great reviews. Of course, you can only mention what is there though. I am really going because I love the area and the history and from a photography point of view, however, some friends are paying a visit on their way through so it would be good to go somewhere nice or I wouldn't really bother to be honest. I'll check The Fountain Inn out and see if it looks any better now it has been smartened up. The photos on the website don't make it look too fantastic but this was, obviously, pre-spruce up.

Thanks.

Suzi

Gloucester, United...
Level Contributor
4,126 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Somewhere to eat in Gloucester

There are a couple of other pubs in Westgate St, one of which has recently reopened as an Irish pub. Again I haven't been in there. One place definitely to avoid from my experience is the New Inn in Northgate St. Unfortunately been there twice, second time to confirm it was as bad as I thought first time - it was! (Actually both times were for family events - neither organised by yours truly)

4. Re: Somewhere to eat in Gloucester

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:15 am, June 17, 2015