We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dyalysis for visitors to UK

Peterborough...
3 posts
Dyalysis for visitors to UK

Hi,

I would like to bring my parents to UK in tourist Visa (valid for 6 months). My father has started his dialysis in India. He will have to undertake dialysis 3 times a week. Once he comes here, will be entitled to use NHS for dialysis.

if not, should I opt to a private hospital? if yes, how much they would charge? any idea?

Thanks in advance,

Ramya

22 replies to this topic
London
Level Contributor
3,366 posts
153 reviews
1. Re: Dyalysis for visitors to UK

No offense, but hopefully he will need a private hospital.

Cheltenham, United...
Destination Expert
for Cotswolds
Level Contributor
3,341 posts
6 reviews
2. Re: Dyalysis for visitors to UK

https:/…holiday-dialysis.aspx ... Guys & Thomas

London hospital states £300 per session,that was in 2013.

I think you need to be talking to your local healthcare services, GP, hospital etc. and doing some research yourself rather than relying on volunteers on a general travel forum.

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
278 posts
231 reviews
3. Re: Dyalysis for visitors to UK

He may be able to be treated in an NHS hospital but unless he is a British citizen he would be charged. This is something you need to sort beforehand. Your GP should be able to advise.

Peterborough...
3 posts
4. Re: Dyalysis for visitors to UK

hi all,

Thank your quick reply. I will talk to my GP for more information.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
74,178 posts
478 reviews
5. Re: Dyalysis for visitors to UK

I know someone whose wife needs dialysis regularly. This has caused problems for holidays and travel, but he found a lot of help through some organisation in the UK that supports and advises dialysis patients. Perhaps there is something similar available to you in India?

Wiltshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Wiltshire
Level Contributor
11,706 posts
449 reviews
6. Re: Dyalysis for visitors to UK

As a guide £300 per session https://www.guysandstthomas.nhs.uk/Home.aspx

Greater London...
Level Contributor
1,788 posts
7. Re: Dyalysis for visitors to UK

"unless he is a British citizen he would be charged. "

Incorrect, you have to be resident in the UK. A UK citizen who is not resident in the UK would not be entitled to NHS treatment.

Therefore anybody on a tourist visa by definition is not resident.

Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
10,655 posts
3 reviews
8. Re: Dyalysis for visitors to UK

His eligibility for a visa may be affected by his health issues. That is something that I would be checking.

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,143 posts
9. Re: Dyalysis for visitors to UK

The NHS will see him, but you may* need to pay.

Make sure you register him as a temporary resident with your GP though. All GPs have this form.

And if they can get a travel insurance with existing conditions cover, I would highly recommend it.

* You almost definitely will need to pay but they don't make you pay on the spot and for certain things they don't charge, although I can't imagine not charging for dialysis.

Edited: 1:28 am, September 14, 2018
India
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
5,851 posts
174 reviews
10. Re: Dyalysis for visitors to UK

Why not wait until his treatment has ended.

I would not want my father to travel just for a holiday/visit unnecessarily, then have to sort out treatment in another country.

You will have to pay for treatment, it does not read like he is entitled to NHS provision, and rightly he should be paying for the treatment he gets if he does visit. Please dont assume you will be able to just walk into a GP/Hospital and get treatment.

Your father should talk with his own doctor/hospital and see if he can get insurance to cover treatment and even he you can get a visa to visit

Reply to: Dyalysis for visitors to UK
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted