We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Solo female traveller to Wicklow needs help!

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
158 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Solo female traveller to Wicklow needs help!

I'll be going to Wicklow from Singapore to attend my colleague's sister's wedding this July... or rather, I asked for an invitation so I can take the opportunity to travel to Ireland! Anyway, the wedding venue will be at the Brook Lodge, Aughrim Oaks and I've managed to find a B&B (single room at Eur 45) at Kiltegan which is about 30 minutes' ride to the Brook Lodge. According to the owner, the B&B is in a rural area and there is no direct public transport from B&B to Brook Lodge... so herein lies my problem.

1. How can I get from Kiltegan to the Brook Lodge?

2. If transportation is a problem, how do I get from the airport to Kiltegan?

3. Is there a similar pricing B&B near the wedding venue?

4. Even if there is, how do I go about my daily transportation?

5. Or will it be cheaper to hire a car?

I'll be pretty much on my own. I intend to arrive in Dublin on 4 July and depart on 11-Jul.

1. How long should I stay in Wicklow? I gather from pictures in the website that Wicklow is such a lovely place that I would like the time to explore the place and go horse riding (though I don't know how). I would also like to sightsee Dublin (eg. Guiness brewery etc).

2. How should my itinerary look like? Would 4 nights in Wicklow/3 nights in Dublin looks right?

I've never traveled that far on my own before so if there are any fellow members out there who can help me, I would greatly appreciate! Thanks!

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
12,129 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Solo female traveller to Wicklow needs help!

There is a hotel in Aughrim called Lawless hotel, friends stayed there recently and it was only ok.

See the link below for other places, Kiltegan is much further away than a lot of the places listed here.

http://www.booking.com/searchresults.en-gb.html?aid=303948;label=eachroim-6W%2AidoRoQBZ2_sOgHwI9RQS27319857261%3Apl%3Ata%3Ap15%3Ap2%3Aac%3Aap1t1%3Aneg;sid=6af827dfc456c02519caf8e07b9a0086;dcid=1;city=-1500302;hyb_red=1;redirected_from_city=1;src=city

Wherever you choose, the owner/manager should be able to get you some taxi numbers.

Brook Lodge is out the country from the town of Aughrim. The Woodenbridge hotel is a small family run place, not fancy but clean and comfortable.

To get to Brooklodge, you can get the train to Arklow and then get a taxi to the hotel.

www.irishrail.ie

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
158 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Solo female traveller to Wicklow needs help!

Thanks HarveyIreland. The website was very useful. I didn't realise that there were so many B&B near Brook Lodge. Comparing to Lawless Hotel, I think I prefer Ashton House more so I've made some enquiries there. Now what is still unanswered is the land transportation. How do I get around in Wicklow? By taxi or will it be cheaper to hire a car? Also, how many nights should I stay in Wicklow and in Dublin (if I have 8 nights in Ireland)? Would appreciate your valuable advice. Cheers.

Waterford, Ireland
Level Contributor
6,414 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Solo female traveller to Wicklow needs help!

It would probably be more satisfactory in the long run to hire a car. We drive on the left, mostly use manual gears and you will find it difficult to hire if you are under 25 or do not have a full license. You would be very limited in your touring options to use taxis, and public transport is ok for town to town but would not be great for, say, exploring Wicklow.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
158 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Solo female traveller to Wicklow needs help!

Thanks, Doneraile. There should be no issue for me to hire a car but this would mean I can't enjoy the sights from Dublin to Wicklow as I'll have to concentrate on my driving.

So assuming I am now going to stay at Ashton Guest House, The Meeting's. Avoca, Co Wicklow, and I am going to take a train from the airport to get here, which station should I alight? From here I will either take a taxi or rent a car. Are you able to recommend a reliable car hire company?

Travelling solo can be quite daunting so I might just follow the tour for a day or two, then go horse riding and long walks before I head back to Dublin.

Do you think this is do-able?

Waterford, Ireland
Level Contributor
6,414 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Solo female traveller to Wicklow needs help!

The train does not go from the airport, you have to get a bus into the city. I will leave it to people with more knowledge to tell you where to get your car, but you may well find hiring it at the airport is the best (and possibly only) solution.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
158 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Solo female traveller to Wicklow needs help!

Thanks, Doeriale. In Singapore, there's a train station at the airport so I assumed the same for Dublin.

For the benefit of others, from the airport to get to Ashton House (which I hope I'll be staying July), is to take a city bus from the airport which go every 29 minutes or so into the city centre . The last stop is the main bus depot, Bus Áras (Central Bus Station). Get off here and walk one minute across the road to Connolly train station and a direct train to Rathdrum. This is the quickest route to County Wicklow. Ashton House is just five minutes by car from Rathdrum train station. Alternatively, take a bus to Arklow from Bus Áras which is 15 minutes from Ashton house.

This information was provided by the owner of Ashton House. I've not even met her yet but I've heard so many nice things about her... I like her already.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
158 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Solo female traveller to Wicklow needs help!

I am planning to incorporate 2 nights' stay at Markree Castle in Collooney, Co. Sligo. Is there public transportation to get from Wicklow to Sligo? I have not ruled out hiring a car but it'll mean I can't enjoy the sights and I also have to worry about getting lost! Can anyone help with their valuable advice? Thanks!

Ireland
Level Contributor
3,271 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Solo female traveller to Wicklow needs help!

There will be no public transport between the 2 locations. Get a bus to Dublin and take the train from Connolly station to Collooney. You will see a lot of countryside from the train:

http://www.irishrail.ie/Collooney

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
158 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Solo female traveller to Wicklow needs help!

Thanks NiceIrlande. Sounds good. Do you have any idea how long it will take me to travel from Connolly station to Collooney. I don't seem to find this information in the link provided. Cheers!

Ireland
Level Contributor
3,271 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Solo female traveller to Wicklow needs help!

2 hours 50 minutes you will find the times here:

irishrail.ie/media/07-DublinSligo250920131.p…