We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rivervalley campsite Redcross Co. Wicklow.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Rivervalley campsite Redcross Co. Wicklow.

I would most definally not recommend this site for an overnight stay or longer for whatever purpose. Rivervalley advertise an adult only section called "the secret garden", it is for the purpose of peace and tranquillity, strictly no children allowed. I have visited many campsite's across Ireland and majority of sites have no noise policy after 11pm. With the greatest respect to other camper's I have alway's obeyed this policy. Myself and two friend's decided to stay for two nights on this apparently rated four star campsite. After a bite to eat and a couple of drinks at the local Mickey Finns pub, we decided to return to our tent just after 9 pm. We retired a short time later inside of the tent for a game of cards and listen to some music. At 11.10pm we were asked to keep the noise down, we complied straight away and reduced the volume on my phone to the position of number 1, we did however continue our card playing but reduced our conversations to meer whispering. A short time later we were asked once again to keep it down, I responded that we were keeping quite and that our neighbouring tent were louder with chat and music playing. Approxmitally ten seconds later a man came shouting saying it was our third warning another would mean we would be asked to leave. Slightly bewildered onto why we seemed to be targeted on our apparent loudness. Anyone with music on their phone should see how quite the music is at volume 1. We decided to retire for the night, to freshen up we entered the public toilets to find children running around at midnight. We were horrified to see children larking about in a child free zone, but decided to ignore. Our neighbouring tent were still playing music and laughing over the volume, did this couple get approached by night time security, I think not.......also a man behind us was calling his dog and hammering the top of his van with his fists, did this man get approached by security, I think not.......did the larking children get approached by security, I think not...... A short time later my friend came across a man passed out in the gents, did this man get approached by security, I think not........ A group of people of 5 in total coagulated outside the shower block shouting and laughing, did these people get approached by security, I think not......... Did our morning wake up call at 7am ( in an only adult section) get approached by security I think not. At 9.10 am we were asked to leave due to us making noise, when asked what noise the staff member could not respond or specify. We commented on our neighbours playing music and giggles till well after 1am and disturbed our slumber, but yet the staff could not answer why they were not asked to leave. We packed up angry and quite misdified on why we were targeted on noise when we respected the policy of the campsite and requests from security. Dumbfounded also on why no one else were approached by security and why were we victimised and treated in this manner. This is why I would not recommend this site, we respected the rules yet everyone else could do as they pleased and it was clearly ok for other people to bend the rules. A very disgruntled camper never to return again to Rivervalley.

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,568 posts
367 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rivervalley campsite Redcross Co. Wicklow.

There are two sides to every story and I'd be interested to hear the RiverValley side of it.

There is no smoke without fire as they say, I'm not sure if you were entirely innocent.

All I am basing this on is that I did stay at the camp site too and while I didn't love the place, neither did I have any complaints and I didn't have any trouble with on site noise after hours.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rivervalley campsite Redcross Co. Wicklow.

Understandably you would feel this way, we were unjustifiably victimimised. I never said we were totally innocent, we were approached by security and we complied with their request to keep the noise down. In fact I stated that other campers were noisy and never approached by security. I camped on other sites too, either on my own or with children, never have I been unfairly treated before.

If you didn't care for this site just don't go back. Don't be questioning my innocence if you have no idea what happened. As I stated before other campers were noisy we were the ones unfairly treated.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
2,463 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rivervalley campsite Redcross Co. Wicklow.

I feel sorry for the people coagulated outside the shower block..

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,568 posts
367 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rivervalley campsite Redcross Co. Wicklow.

Katy - they may have been vampires - so don't feel too sorry for them!

Mags, don't get annoyed with me - I never did go back and don't intend to.

I just wonder why you were "victimised", you MUST have done something more than you reported to annoy the management there. Are you telling the full story?

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rivervalley campsite Redcross Co. Wicklow.

Lol lol I'm sure their blood congealed well and wisely :) no I have been totally honest about the events that took place. As stated before I have stayed in various campsites, we have been asked to extinguish fires and keep noise levels down once 11 bells strikes we have kept all noise levels to a minimum. One would have to walk right up to our tent and hear us, I am still dumbfounded on the way we were approached and asked to be quiet.

Please feel free to review other comments on Rivervalley page, people have commented on the place been short of a prison. I however did not or could not compare the difference. They singled us out due to our light been on and our conversation, mere whispering I might add. Never to return again and that is a fact Hidden Valley is much better and more suitable for children and pet friendly. People complied with the rules there and respected other campers and security were more mannerly and respected the fact that people could talk and that was never an issue to be taken away as ones civil right.

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,568 posts
367 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rivervalley campsite Redcross Co. Wicklow.

Fair enough. Points taken.

1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Rivervalley campsite Redcross Co. Wicklow.

That's good if you make noise after 11 or stay out near the toilet block after half 11 you get told to get of the sight because you could wake other people up

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
1,573 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rivervalley campsite Redcross Co. Wicklow.

Xasey, this issue was done to death last July! Why join TA [1st post - no reviews] to resurrect it now?

9. Re: Rivervalley campsite Redcross Co. Wicklow.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, May 24, 2014