We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cookstown county Wicklow?

Which Wicklow hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Topic
Cookstown county Wicklow?

Anyone know anything about this town? Anything to see or do there?

Dublin
Level Contributor
3,297 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cookstown county Wicklow?

Cookstown is not a town. It's a townland just outside Enniskerry in north County Wicklow. Townland is the term used for local areas or districts in Ireland, typically farmland. In this case, Cookstown is less than a mile outside Ennniskerry, and is about half-way between Enniskerry and the main Dublin - Wexford road (N11). Powerscourt domain is worth visiting and is about 1.5 - 2 miles away on the far side of Enniskerry. Enniskerry itself is a small pretty village.

Don't confuse this Cookstown with other localities of the same name in Ireland, including a suburb in west Dublin and a town in County Tyrone.

Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Cookstown county Wicklow?

The reason for my asking is because I traced back my great great grandparents to cookstown. Not sure if it's this one or the one in N. Ireland? I'm assuming that it's the one in county Wicklow because the ships records show they left out of Liverpool which is closer to Dublin rather than N. Ireland. Wanted to check out the area since I'll be close by. Thanks for the info!

Dublin
Level Contributor
3,297 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cookstown county Wicklow?

I would be slow to assume that Cookstown, Co. Wicklow is where your people originated on the basis of Liverpool as a port of departure. It would be quite conceivable that emigrants from Cookstown, Co. Tyrone could have travelled via Belfast to Liverpool and from there to the USA.

Assuming your g.g.grandparents left Ireland in the 19th century, you may struggle to fnid any records for them, as Irish records are fairly limited, particularly in the 1st half of the 19th century. However, you should search online by surname as this may give some idea of where you people originated - irish surnames tend to be fairly geo-specific in the 19th century i.e. you may find lots of Murphys in Cork but not in Donegal. Therefore you might find that your g.g.grandparents surnames are associated more with one Cookstown than another.

The best record for Irish names in the mid -19th century is Griffiths Primary Valuation which is searchable online at askaboutireland.ie/griffith-valuation/index.…

Out of curiosity, I did a quick search of two Cookstowns - the Wicklow one came up with names including Murray, Walker, Geeson, Gaskin and McCready but Cookstown in Tyrone is a much larger area and contains a huge range of names - too many to begin listing. However, an on-line search of the Griffiths site by name may come up with results which may clarify which Cookstown your people came from.

4. Re: Cookstown county Wicklow?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:17 am, June 19, 2013