We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Whitford House Hotel /Talbot Hotel/Faithlegg House Hotel

dublin
Level Contributor
10 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Whitford House Hotel /Talbot Hotel/Faithlegg House Hotel

I am looking to book a hotel with a swimming pool. Whitford House,Talbot Hotel and Faithlegg House Hotel all have one. Please help me decide which to choose. All hotels have mixed reviews, but I am looking for one that might be quiet and more suited to couples than families.

Mentioned in this post
Talbot Wexford
Talbot Wexford
1,736 Reviews
Wexford, Ireland
Ireland
Level Contributor
12,652 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Whitford House Hotel /Talbot Hotel/Faithlegg House Hotel

Faithlegg would be best suited to couples, though the pool is small. There arr nice library rooms etc to sit in front of the fire and sip your hot toddy too. Ferrycarrig is good, great pool and the bar and restaurant have adult only sections. Not a fan of the Talbot,tbh.

Mentioned in this post
Ferrycarrig Hotel
Ferrycarrig Hotel
2,034 Reviews
Ferrycarrig, Ireland
Talbot Wexford
Talbot Wexford
1,736 Reviews
Wexford, Ireland
Carlow, Ireland
Level Contributor
255 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Whitford House Hotel /Talbot Hotel/Faithlegg House Hotel

I would choose Whites or the Talbot hotel, mostly because of their location and in my opinion they are both nice hotels.

Edited: 1:52 pm, December 14, 2009
Ireland
Level Contributor
12,652 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Whitford House Hotel /Talbot Hotel/Faithlegg House Hotel

I find Whites a bit too noisy, though if you want to shop, it's perfect, on the side of the street.

County Meath...
Level Contributor
3,311 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Whitford House Hotel /Talbot Hotel/Faithlegg House Hotel

Hi gardenvilla,

Faithelegg is in a lovely setting,very peaceful & the building itself is very impressive.I have been here many times & with regard to food,it can be hit & miss !

It is located about 6 miles from Waterford City,the nearest pub would be Jack Meades about 2miles away.There is nothing in Faithlegg itself so you will need your car if you want to get away from the hotel.

Anywhere with a swimming pool will attract families,personally its the first thing we look for when booking a hotel.

As a previous poster has mentioned,location wise Whites or the Talbot in Wexford may suit you better or the Ferrycarrig. Are Waterford & Wexford your only options ??? Have you considered Kilkenny ???

Mentioned in this post
Waterford
Waterford
County Waterford, Ireland
Wexford
Wexford
County Wexford, Ireland
Kilkenny
Kilkenny
County Kilkenny, Ireland
Talbot Wexford
Talbot Wexford
1,736 Reviews
Wexford, Ireland
Ferrycarrig Hotel
Ferrycarrig Hotel
2,034 Reviews
Ferrycarrig, Ireland
dublin
Level Contributor
10 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Whitford House Hotel /Talbot Hotel/Faithlegg House Hotel

Thank you all for you replies, Car available so it does not matter how far outside Wexford we stay. Faithlegg it probably is.

Whitford House Hotel, any views on this ???

Mary99ireland,,,,,,,Where do you recommend in Kilkenny?? I am open to all suggestions.

Mentioned in this post
Kilkenny
Kilkenny
County Kilkenny, Ireland
Ireland
Level Contributor
12,652 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Whitford House Hotel /Talbot Hotel/Faithlegg House Hotel

In Kilkenny I'd choose a sister hotel of Ferrycarrig, the Hotel Kilkenny. I don't like the Lyrath, think it's over hyped and over-priced.Whitford house is nice, but I'd still choose Faithlegg over it. Just down the road at Passage you'll meet a tiny village with a goood place to eat too.

Mentioned in this post
Kilkenny
Kilkenny
County Kilkenny, Ireland
Ferrycarrig Hotel
Ferrycarrig Hotel
2,034 Reviews
Ferrycarrig, Ireland
Hotel Kilkenny
Hotel Kilkenny
2,111 Reviews
Kilkenny, Ireland
Ireland
Destination Expert
for Kilkenny
Level Contributor
3,617 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Whitford House Hotel /Talbot Hotel/Faithlegg House Hotel

Whitford house is friendly and family oriented, but quite a way out of the town. Talbot is ideally located.

In Kilkenny, you have plenty of choice. Agree with Harvey about the Lyrath and its a good way out. Ormonde, Hotel Kilkenny, Newpark or Springhill, in that order.

Mentioned in this post
Kilkenny
Kilkenny
County Kilkenny, Ireland
Talbot Wexford
Talbot Wexford
1,736 Reviews
Wexford, Ireland
Hotel Kilkenny
Hotel Kilkenny
2,111 Reviews
Kilkenny, Ireland
Newpark Hotel
Newpark Hotel
2,104 Reviews
Kilkenny, Ireland
Dublin
Destination Expert
for Valletta
Level Contributor
8,526 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Whitford House Hotel /Talbot Hotel/Faithlegg House Hotel

I personally prefere the Talbot good food music on the weekends a nice pool with attentive staff

have been going there every year for the last ten years and never had a problum.

Whites to sterile and noisy

Mentioned in this post
Talbot Wexford
Talbot Wexford
1,736 Reviews
Wexford, Ireland
Carlow, Ireland
Level Contributor
255 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Whitford House Hotel /Talbot Hotel/Faithlegg House Hotel

My favourite in Kilkenny is the River court hotel, just under the castle and on the riverside. Smack bang in the center.

Mentioned in this post
Kilkenny
Kilkenny
County Kilkenny, Ireland
County Meath...
Level Contributor
3,311 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Whitford House Hotel /Talbot Hotel/Faithlegg House Hotel

Would second the River Court in Kilkenny.

The only place to eat in Passage East is Howay Chinese Resaurant,its small ,more suitable as a Take Away IMO.In Cheekpoint about 2 miles from Faithlegg is McAlpins Suir Inn,lovely seafood restaurant,no reservations needed,but you may have to wait.Dunmore East is about 7 miles from Faithlegg,a lovely fishing village & some lovely restaurants.

Kilkenny is a fab city,the castle is beautiful & the city is vibrant,lots going on there & some great shopping.

If i were to choose between Waterford,Wexford & Kilkenny,i would pick Kilkenny & if it was a choice between Wexford & Faithlegg,i'd go for Faithlegg !

Have a great time whatever you decide,

Mary.

Mentioned in this post
Kilkenny
Kilkenny
County Kilkenny, Ireland
Waterford
Waterford
County Waterford, Ireland
Wexford
Wexford
County Wexford, Ireland