We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

feeding kids on oscar wilde ferry

J K
Limerick
Level Contributor
66 posts
Save Topic
feeding kids on oscar wilde ferry

Hi all, going on the Oscar wilde for the third time this summer and only complaint is the lack of food for my three children. With fussy eaters that only really eat plain pasta I can't justify paying full price of €14:95 for the set menu in the restaurant. Any one got any tips on how to heat up food in the cabins. We stay in the 5 star which is really good value as the breakfast is included the following morning, however we always get frustrated with the choice of kids foods on board. Thanks in advance if anyone can give suggestions. We have eaten in the self service restaurant and they won't even eat the chips unfortunately......

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick
Level Contributor
28,085 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: feeding kids on oscar wilde ferry

There are a number of areas on the Oscar Wilde where you can get food other than the set menu.

BUT failing that what I would suggest is that you take some warm food in, in an insulated bag and that should keep it warm for a few hours in the same way that it would keep food cool.

And if they are into pot noodles (horrible things but my kids like them!!) then you could bring in a travel kettle and use that. When we are on the Oscar we bring a small kettle and some croissants, milk, teabags etc and have breakfast in our cabin. Much easier - no rushing out - and it saves the price of the kettle if you have two cups of tea each.

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Sligo, Dublin
Level Contributor
9,602 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: feeding kids on oscar wilde ferry

Would they eat the pasta cold with some cheese sprinkled on and some cherry tomatoes chopped through - kind of a pasta salad that you could bring with you. Other than the insulated bags that Bean has suggested above the only other solution I can think of is to put the cooked hot pasta into a large flask to bring with you. I have never been on the Oscar Wilde but would there be no way they would put the pasta in a microwave to heat it for you even if you were buying full price adult meals??

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick
Level Contributor
28,085 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: feeding kids on oscar wilde ferry

Dubfam, I don't think they would microwave stuff for you.

Another alternative, thinking here, might be to bring a toasted sandwich maker. It would be heavy, heavier than a travel kettle. And you'd need to be careful about the fire alarms. But it might work.

North Lanarkshire...
Level Contributor
636 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: feeding kids on oscar wilde ferry

Take a travel kettle and make cup a soups, along with some sandwiches you've made yourself. You can also get those little tubs of pasta dishes, similar to pot noodles, that you just add boiling water to.

To be honest, though, if it's just one overnight on the ferry each way you could just give them something cold. They'll survive fine if you give them a cold dish. Pack a cool bag/box with bits and pieces of cold food that you know they'll eat. Cheese, cooked meat, bread, fruit, yoghurts etc. ... or whatever you would normally give them in a picnic.

A picnic in the cabin for dinner could be a really nice way of starting your holiday ... and I bet the children would love it.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
3 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: feeding kids on oscar wilde ferry

We travel to Ireland from France every 2 years in July or August with Irish Ferries/ Oscar Wilde. Our children are now 10 and 13. I book in January to get good rates and usually book a 3 star cabin with windows. We always bring a picnic and breakfast with us as the food on the ferry is expensive and can be quite disappointing. The kids love the picnic, its only one night after all. The cabin is spacious enough to have a nice picnic. Entertainment for younger kids is great (although ours may be getting too old now). The magic show and kids disco is great for keeping the little ones occupied in the evening. Careful with the bunks though, I don't let my kids sleep in the upper ones. We find the staff very polite, helpful and the cruise does give us a rest from driving and get us in form for the drive either in Ireland or when we return to France. There is now more competition opening for the France Ireland ferry crossing (Stena, L&D Lines) this is a good thing. No stress about excess baggage, airport security checks, flight delays, we find it quite a relaxing experience and this will be our 5th time taking Irish Ferries and 3rd time taking the Oscar Wilde.

Mentioned in this post
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
France
France
Europe
Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Sligo, Charlottesville, Virginia, County Donegal
Level Contributor
19,117 posts
285 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: feeding kids on oscar wilde ferry

Greetings, What ages are your children?

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: feeding kids on oscar wilde ferry

There is a microwave on board , i'm going to be cheeky and bring a couple of kids ready meals in a coolbox and heat them up, well thats the plan anyway ! enjoy your hols :)

8. Re: feeding kids on oscar wilde ferry

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:17 pm, July 14, 2015