We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Scenic Route?

Which Rosslare hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
NSW
Level Contributor
98 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
The Scenic Route?

Hi

We will be leaving Dublin to travel to Rosslare to catch the Ferry to France on the 29th of October. In checking out our options, I see that there is a direct train, but that it will leave us about a 5 hour wait. I am thinking about taking the scenic route by bus, as my 14 year old son expressed going to Limerick so he could write a limerick .... from checking out the buses we can go from Dublin to Limerick through Tipperary to Waterford then back up to Rosslare with only about a 3 hour wait for the ferry - is there a better way to do this trip?

Any advice welcome!

Na

Carlow, Ireland
Level Contributor
255 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The Scenic Route?

The train trip from Dublin to Rosslare (take a coast-side (left) seat) is arguable the nicest train trip in Ireland, so I would take this trip. You would have no trouble at all putting in 5 hours in historic Wexford town. Just search Tripadvisor for some things to do. You need to check out the time tables to see if you can then continue onward by train or bus.

My 2 (there are lots more) favourite things in Wexford (apart from the quaint train platform itself) are the beautiful boardwalk on the quays and the really narrow mostly pedestrianised main street.

Also visit the Franciscan Friary to see effigy of the boy martyr

goireland.com/wexford/franciscan-friary-wexf…

Also a visit to St Iberius Church would be nice.

www.wexford.ferns.anglican.org/iberius.html

Just a few suggestions. You will find lots more on TA

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
2,150 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The Scenic Route?

i would agree with wearb. I used to take this train every weekend May - Sept for almost 10 years and the scenery en route never fails to impress - specially from Dublin to Greystones and then again into Rathdrum.....

NSW
Level Contributor
98 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The Scenic Route?

That sounds like a plan ... and if my ipod is right and it is only 15kms from Wexford to Rosslare Europort, then we could cab it and not have to worry about the connections. How to pass the news on to the Lamington (Liam Patrick) that he won't get to write a Limerick in Limerick and go through some places his great great etc grandparents are from is something I will work on ... this may warrant a return trip given our very limited time on this trip. Thank you for your advice!

Antarctica
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
25,242 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The Scenic Route?

As Limerick expert, can I say that limericks aren't very big in Limerick. It would be a waste of some valuable travel time.

But as a treat, perhaps, the Limerick DE, given a little time, might write him a personal Limerick - if that would be of assistance ;o)

NSW
Level Contributor
98 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The Scenic Route?

Thank you for that message - although the size of his ego is big enough at the moment and having something written for him would increase it no end! I have been looking at the route down from Dublin and I don't think we will have any problem filling in a day plus a few hours! It's been great to be pointed in the right direction!

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: The Scenic Route?

Like Bean A, I thought that a limerick might be appropriate, so here’s my offering:

There is a young poet in Canberra.

He writes of Ireland, not the Sahara.

To Limerick, he’ll advance,

Ere he sails off to France.

For his poem daren’t be written on the Beara.

I’m not sure what city or town you live in, so I selected Canberra. I didn’t choose Sydney because using ‘kidney’ as a rhyming word doesn’t make for a very pleasant poem.

I wish you all a safe trip and a great time in Ireland and France!

NSW
Level Contributor
98 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: The Scenic Route?

Very good! Liam was suitably impressed - especially with the reference to Canberra as he can't wait until he is old enough to move there when he has finished school!. And only 46 more sleeps til we leave ... and I'm not sure who is more excited - this trip has been nearly 5 years in the making!

Edited: 3:57 am, September 05, 2011
8. Re: The Scenic Route?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 am, July 24, 2013