We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with travel plans- Dingle/Southern Coast

Which Waterford hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
washington, dc
Level Contributor
26 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Help with travel plans- Dingle/Southern Coast

Visiting Ireland in October. Flying into Shannon. Spending first night in Dingle, then want to drive along the Southern Coast to Dublin. Advice on where to stay for two nights (two different towns) enroute between Dingle and Dublin? We love quaint fishing villages that have a few good pubs for us to spend the evening.

Also looking for advice on a hike of 5 miles or so on Dingle or anywhere else in Southern Ireland.

This is our second trip to ireland. First trip we stayed in Killarney, Kenmare and Kinsale. For those of you booking your first trip, we really enjoying hiking the gap of dunloe, seeing the skellings, and random side trips along the southwest coast. Kenmare and Kinsale are great towns.

We prefer to drive a couple of hours a day in total, which gives us plenty of time for photos, side trips, etc.

Co. Kildare
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
8,462 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help with travel plans- Dingle/Southern Coast

I take it that you're looking for suggestions for one night each in two different towns between Dingle and Dublin?

I was going to suggest Schull in West Cork (www.corktourist.com/towns/schull/) but maybe you know the area already. Dunmore East in Co. Waterford (www.waterford-dunmore.com) is lovely.

Driving for only 2 hours a day might present a problem, though, since the journey from Dingle to Dublin taking the direct route would take about 5 to 6 hours and to drive along the coast to Dublin from Dingle would take many more hours than that.

Regarding hiking in Dingle have a look at www.dingleway.net/.

It will get dark around 6.30 pm in mid-October so take that into account when sightseeing or hiking.

Surrey, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Quebec, Montreal, The Netherlands
Level Contributor
6,858 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help with travel plans- Dingle/Southern Coast

"We love quaint fishing villages that have a few good pubs for us to spend the evening" - you want Baltimore.

And as about hiking, IF the ferry is still in service in October, walk on the beautiful Blasket Island (ferry from Dunquin, the most westerly point in mainland Ireland)

See …webshots.com/photo/273010245/12730150930600…

If not, maybe a stretch on the spectacular Connor Pass, weather permitting?

washington, dc
Level Contributor
26 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help with travel plans- Dingle/Southern Coast

Thanks I'll look into the Dunmore East and Schull. We spent and afternoon in Baltimore last year (and you are right, it's a great little town). If we had a few more days, do you think it's worth it to visit Lismore and Cashel? Also, any thoughts on a little town close to Dublin where we could spend a night? We're planning on driving into Dublin early, spending the day walking around/sightseeing then driving back out.

Co. Kildare
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
8,462 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help with travel plans- Dingle/Southern Coast

Lismore and Cashel are definitely worth a visit and can both be visited the same day, with a lovely drive through the "Vee" (go north from Lismore along the R668 all the way to Cahir, then onto the N8 to Cashel).

Driving into Dublin and back out again is NOT a good idea, believe me. The traffic on all approach roads, particularly early in the morning and in the afternoons and evenings is just chaotic! I live only 11 miles outside Dublin and the car journey usually takes about 1.5 hours (on really bad days it can even be longer. Because of this hubby gave up driving to work and now travels by bus). You'd be much better off leaving the car at your accommodation and taking the bus or train into Dublin.

Which town close to Dublin you stay in might depend on which direction you're coming to Dublin from.

washington, dc
Level Contributor
26 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help with travel plans- Dingle/Southern Coast

Thanks! Sounds like we'll be taking the train into Dublin. Do train stations on the outskirts of Dublin have parking lots?

Co. Kildare
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
8,462 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help with travel plans- Dingle/Southern Coast

I imagine that most train stations would have a car park but they would not necessarily supervised so I wouldn't recommend to leave the car there all day. It really would be better to leave the car at the hotel or B&B and either walk to the nearest train station or take the bus.

If you do not want to stay in Dublin some towns that might suit would be Greystones and Bray to the south, Maynooth and Leixlip (where I live) to the west and Swords, Malahide and Portmarnock to the north. Again, as I said before, the place might depend on the route you'll be taking to Dublin (in order to avoid the worst of the traffic).

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
12,513 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help with travel plans- Dingle/Southern Coast

lmedsker, wow, you wouldn't ask the impossible would you?...hehehehe...

if i only had three days i wouldn't even go because the first day usually ends early because of jet lag, so that would mean only two "full" days...but if that is all you have i would just do something close to shannon, i wouldn't even attempt the drive to dingle on arrival date unless you are one of those rarely seen lucky ones that jet lag doesn't affect.....lol...

you might see bunratty, limerick, doolin, the burren, the cliffs of moher, ennis, etc. and though it would be a long drive, which you don't seems to mind, kinsale is a lovely fishing village i guess you could say, at least there are lots of boats docked there...one of my favorite villages...

for a drive from dingle to dublin you are talking tons of driving if you are going to see anything on the way, as some one else has already pointed out.....also the days are much shorter and daylight is very limited and you won't have enough daylight to hardly drive this much less see other things....and NEVER DRIVE IN DUBLIN...hehehe...

rethink this, there is so much to see close to shannon and you won't spend all of your time driving.....

just another view......

ireland
Level Contributor
91 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help with travel plans- Dingle/Southern Coast

As previously mentioned you are taking on a lot of driving .

I suggest just going to dingle for your three nights , then flying from Kerry airport on your last day direct to Dublin then home.

Dingle is a great town with lots of fantastic walks , great pubs and restaurants.

Driving here is exhausting , frustrating and always takes longer than you think.

Stop and smell the roses , monbretia , fuschia, heather !!!!!!

(www.aerarann.ie ) for very reasonable internal flights

Chicago
Level Contributor
65 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help with travel plans- Dingle/Southern Coast

Dingle is wonderful. You will enjoy your stay there, as well as the people.

Due to poor planning on our part, my husband and I ended up wasting an entire day in Ireland (no offense to those that might take it this way) driving from Dingle to Dublin. It was a weekday, during the off-season and virtually nothing was open as a stopping poing along the way back. To clarify...gas stations, yes, but not attractions...even the cheesy tourist ones....As a result though the views from the highway were nice, spending 10 hours plus in the car not so much.

Just a thought to help you plan your stay better than we did!

Co. Kildare
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
8,462 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Help with travel plans- Dingle/Southern Coast

ladydoc..., 10 hours to get from Dingle to Dublin....? Just where did you go? It takes about 5 to 6 hours to get from there to there and it can be done in under 5 hours. Nice to hear that you had a good time, though!