We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip to Waterford.

Which Waterford hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Winton, North...
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Day trip to Waterford.

4 ladies(USA) are staying in Killarney and wish to do a day trip to Waterford. Can we drive it ourselves or is it recommended we hire a driver. We would like to tour the crystal factory and have lunch at Waterford Castle.

Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
9,963 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trip to Waterford.

Of course you drive it yourself, though it's a bit of a distance. Do the castle do lunch for non residents?It's on an island so you'd need to get their little ferry.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
315 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trip to Waterford.

Perfect option to drive!

Winton, North...
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trip to Waterford.

Thanks, so much for your responses. This helps so much. I was a little hesitant because of left side driving. My husband usually drives, but he will be playing golf. I think I can, I think I can!!

Co. Kildare
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
8,456 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trip to Waterford.

You can!!!

Co. Kildare
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
8,456 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day trip to Waterford.

Yes, non residents can get lunch, though you should book. The grounds are lovely for a walk.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Loughrea, Southport, Clifden, Connemara
Level Contributor
18,388 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day trip to Waterford.

You do realise that you are talking about a drive of about 3 hours each way...There are closer options for things to do/see.

Ventry, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle Peninsula
Level Contributor
7,230 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day trip to Waterford.

I don't know if you are planning to visit Dingle during your Killarney stay. If you are then Dingle Crystal is an option. It is a small operation run by a master cutter who trained in Waterford

http://www.dinglecrystal.ie/

Edited: 4:03 am, June 26, 2013
Waterford, Ireland
Level Contributor
9 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Day trip to Waterford.

It is a 2.5 hour drive each way, so make an early start as possible to see as much as you can of Ireland's oldest city! There is lots to see here apart from visiting Waterford Crystal. There are 3 museums directly across the street which are well worth a visit! Here is the website: http://www.waterfordtreasures.com/. They are open until 6pm daily so you would have time to visit 1 or 2 of them after your lunch in Waterford Castle! The castle is a very popular wedding venue so it may be closed to non-guests. Call them in advance to be sure that it is ok to visit. The 5 minute ferry across is free and the grounds are wonderful for a stroll even if you don't do lunch!!

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Cork
Level Contributor
2,930 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Day trip to Waterford.

Be conscious of your choice of route.

There are two ways from Killarney to Waterford, the first via Mallow and Fermoy, the second via Cork City. There's next to nothing to choose between the routes timewise.

The first route has much worse roads, but passes through the scenic Blackwater Valley and could also allow you to visit Lismore.

The second route is a significantly easier drive, but is probably best avoided if it will take you past Cork City between 8am and 9am or 4:30pm and 6pm.

Waterford, Ireland
Level Contributor
6,414 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Day trip to Waterford.

I would do the Fermoy route over the Cork route any time!