We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do: Cruise Port of Call: Waterford

Which Waterford hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Cranston, Rhode...
Level Contributor
4 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
What to do: Cruise Port of Call: Waterford

We will be on the Ocean Princess docked in Waterford this August from 9:00 am to 7:30 pm and can't decide if we should tour Waterford or take a tour of the nearby countryside. The ship has excursions within Waterford, and others to Jerpoint Abbey and Kilkenny Castle. The only thing that really interests me in Waterford is the Crystal showroom. Are there any must-sees in the area, and can anyone recommend a tour guide in the area who will show us around both Waterford and perhaps the countryside, to Jerpoint Abbey or Kilkenny?

County Meath...
Level Contributor
3,292 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to do: Cruise Port of Call: Waterford

You could easily take the train from Waterford to Kilkenny & visit the castle yourself. www.irishrail.ie

After your visit to Waterford Crystal you could also visit Dunmore East www.waterford-dunmore.com either by taxi or local bus www.suirway.com

Dunmore East is about 25 mins by bus from Waterford City.

Ireland
Destination Expert
for Kilkenny
Level Contributor
3,602 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to do: Cruise Port of Call: Waterford

If this is your only stop in Ireland, much as I like Waterford, I would urge you not to pass up the opportunity to visit Jerpoint Abbey and Kilkenny Castle (if this is all one trip). I hope you would also be allowed a little time to also stroll up Kilkenny High Street and Parliament Street. The Abbey and Castle are important monuments and well worth visiting. If the trip to Jerpoint Abbey is a separate trip to Kilkenny, then I wonder what else you will do as it will only take half a day to see Jerpoint Abbey.

If possible, I hope the tour bus will bring you through Waterford and along the Quay, rather than the motorway route. That way you would be able to see some the best parts of georgian Waterford.

Waterford, Ireland
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: What to do: Cruise Port of Call: Waterford

I would suggest that you tour Waterford. Waterford is Ireland's Oldest City founded in 914 AD. Some facts and figures are that Waterford has a lovely Riverside location, it's population is 50,000 and is the capital of the South-East of Ireland.

Viking Triangle

1,100 years of history in 1,000 places!

The Viking Tringle is the name given to Waterford's very compact historic city centre which includes:

9 national monuments including 2 cathedrals

3 museums

Home of the world-famous House of Waterford Crystal

Craft studios and art galleries all in walking distance of the House of Waterford Crystal

Victorian Theatre

traditional pubs

Atmospheric cafes & restaurants

Site where the Irish national flag was first flown in 1848

Home of Irish patriot and American Civil War hero Thomas Francis Meagher

Birthplace of the operatic composer William vincent Wallace.

Walking Tours

Unique all weather Viking Triangle walking tour

The only walking tour in Ireland where the guides have full access to all museums and monuments

Tour guides in historic character and period costume

Duration 45 minutes to 1 hour

Reginal's Tower - Treasures of Viking Waterford

Agreat stone tower built C1180 AD on the site of the Viking fort, it now houses a Viking Museum and a recreation of a medieval mint. During the Middle Ages the tower was home of the Irish national mint.

Choristers' Hall - Treasures of Medieval Waterford

The Medieval museum incorporates the 13th century Choristers' Hall and a 15th century wine vault and takes visitors back to the great age of faithand chivalry.

Houses Europe's finest collection of medieval cloth-of-gold vestments

Ireland's largest collection of royal charters including the Great Charter Roll 1372 AD, viewed by Queen Elizabeth II on her 2011 visit to Ireland.

Bishop's Palace - Treasures of 18th and 19th century Waterford

Experience the elegance of 18th century Ireland in the magnificent Bishop's Palace built in 1743.

Remarkable collection of 18th century Irish furniture, furnishings and paintings.

World's largest and oldest collection of historic Waterford glass dating to the 1780's

These are just a few offerings that Waterford has. We hope you decide to stay and visit our beautful area.

Haymarket...
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to do: Cruise Port of Call: Waterford

We are on the same cruise. Saw your post as I was researching Waterford. Note that the ship docks in East Dunmore, about 15 miles from Waterford. I think we will look for a private tour that might include the House of Waterford Crystal, Kilkenny Castle, and some of the Irish countryside. The thing about the Waterford Showroom is that it doesn't involve the actual making of the crystal, but is simply an opportunity to sell product. You could get stuck on this one stop for quite a while, as they make their sales pitch. That's the only thing that concerns me. A private tour might give us an opportunity to stay only as long as we want. You might want to post on the Cruise Critic roll call for this cruise, to see if others might have have ideas for private tours. Not sure if there is a way for us to make contact about sharing a private tour through TripAdvisor.

County Meath...
Level Contributor
3,292 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to do: Cruise Port of Call: Waterford

Dunmore East is about 20 mins from Waterford city.

www.discoverdunmore.com

Will be able to see your ship from my house !

ireland
Level Contributor
112 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What to do: Cruise Port of Call: Waterford

could I just add across from Waterford crystal is the Kite design center which houses Sean Egan and also the Kite design studio

http://www.seaneganartglass.com/

https:/…116244435128005

Waterford, Ireland
Level Contributor
6,414 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What to do: Cruise Port of Call: Waterford

Johathan, Waterford Crystal does in fact include a very interesting tour showing the glass being blown, cut, engraved, and items are being produced that are sold in the showroom. Because it has been arranged to be of interest to visitors you are very close to the process, and can talk to the cutters and engravers, they are happy to explain what they are doing.

There is a very nice cafe. Across the road is the Bishop's Palace museum and another very good cafe, and by the summer there will be a new museum beside the Palace with the reproduction Viking ship in the undercroft. Behind the Palace is the Cathedral and nearby is Kite design studio. All this area is the Viking Triangle, the roads and pathways echo the original roadways and house placements of 1100 years ago when the Vikings settled.

The road that I just mentioned was once a river, and while there is nothing to see now, you are walking across the refuse and old longships of the Viking era. A hundred yards or so to the right is Reginald's Tower, a post Viking (Norman) tower that has been in constant use and occupation for around a thousand years. It is a museum, though you need to be fairly fit to climb the stone stairs. Within a very small area there are also several ruins of churches (and of course some non-ruined ones :)) and the towers and sections of walls - some of which have been incorporated into old buildings - of Waterford's several layers of defensive walls, some of the most complete city walls in Ireland.

Waterford is the oldest city in Ireland and has a 14C charter, 12 feet long with the earliest representation of Waterford on it, and illustrations of medieval kings and Irish mayors and other officers, in many cases the only illustrations that exist. It has been compared to the Book of Kells in importance.

Kilkenny is a lovely city with a lot to see, but Waterford has its history too.

Waterford
Level Contributor
7 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What to do: Cruise Port of Call: Waterford

Hi sunluva7,

I would indeed encourage you to take the tour of the Crystal showroom. The tour takes approx 50mins and costs around €10.

In the blowing dept your are about 10 - 15 feet away from the craftsmen and in the marking,cutting and engraving depts you are at the artisans shoulder observing everything in great detail.

There's an opportunity on the tour to see all the commemorative pieces be made for events such as the Olympics and 9/11 to major sporting trophies for golf, formula 1 and NFL.

There is no obligation to purchase anything and definately no hard sell. Should you wish to buy, the tour finishes in the showroom where you can see more crystal on display.If you do not wish to take the tour the showroom is free and you can wander around at your own pace.Cruise ships are a regular feature in Waterford now and your entertainment officer should be able to organise whatever you require and may be able to get a group rate for passengers.

Enjoy your visit.

9. Re: What to do: Cruise Port of Call: Waterford

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:23 am, April 27, 2013