We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Waterford Crystal

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
19,974 posts
67 reviews
Save Topic
Waterford Crystal

Yet another Irish Fireside gem

irishfireside.com/2010/…

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,812 posts
372 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Waterford Crystal

Hmmmmmm. I'm not sure that pronounced 'twaing' pleasured me, however it was a very good concise yet informatve report and i'm going there in two weeks time.

Well done Waterford on that achievement it looks mega impressive.

Mentioned in this post
Waterford
Waterford
County Waterford, Ireland
Waterford, Ireland
Level Contributor
6,414 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Waterford Crystal

Lol, very nice film, did anyone notice the bus at the bus deepo had a flat tyre!

Its a very fair assessment of the new centre though, very good to look round - its visitor friendly but still feels like a factory. And the workers are very much geared towards talking to the visitors.

Earth
Level Contributor
1,751 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Waterford Crystal

Well done. As for the "twaing" I'm sure a mid-Western American accent is just as pleasing as a Corkonian one. ;-) Thanks for the "gem" Tony.

London
Level Contributor
16 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Waterford Crystal

As someone who visited the old Waterford Crystal Factory and showroom in 2008 I can say that this new centre is a vast improvement on many levels. It is a very short walk from the main bus station (and by the way the bus does not have a flat tyre, the bus stands are designed so that people don't have a high step to climb to get into the bus, the parking area is lover down than the waiting area.) and very close to other attractions in Waterford. The craftsmen really look as if they are enjoying what they are doing and the showroom looks great. Well worth a visit.

Mentioned in this post
Waterford Crystal
Waterford Crystal
2,993 Reviews
Waterford, Ireland
Waterford
Waterford
Limerick, Ireland
Level Contributor
367 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Waterford Crystal

Went to buy some waterford in Limerick last week as my daughter wanted to bring a gift to her host family in Italy and guess what everything i looked at was made in POLAND!!!!! Are they tring to fool usall into thinking it is made in Ireland??? I was rather annoyed. Also the 10.50euro charge seems crazy for the showroom tour. I personally would never bring anyone there. I have in the past but then it was actually made in Ireland. Sorry to be a downer

Mentioned in this post
Limerick
Limerick
County Limerick, Ireland
Italy
Italy
Europe
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
Waterford, Ireland
Level Contributor
6,414 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Waterford Crystal

The tour is not of the showroom, that is free. You visit the glass making section where all stages of production of Waterford Glass can be seen. And while much of the production does start - and sometimes finish - in Poland the factory in Dungarvan, and the production from the Waterford center are also available.

I asked on the tour whether the glass made in Waterford will be marked as Waterford Waterford Crystal, and I was told it would. I would be interested to know if anyone else has asked as this was on the second day open and some facts were still a little vague!

Mentioned in this post
Waterford Crystal
Waterford Crystal
2,993 Reviews
Waterford, Ireland
Waterford
Waterford
London
Level Contributor
16 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Waterford Crystal

Factory in Dungarvan? When did the factory in Dungarvan re open? It closed down in 2005.

8. Re: Waterford Crystal

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, January 21, 2011