We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Eating in Waterford

Long Beach, CA
Level Contributor
27 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
Eating in Waterford

Looking for a casual, moderately-price place to have dinner in Waterford. Pubs are fine, as well as restaurants. Appreciate your suggestions!

Mentioned in this post
Waterford
Waterford
County Waterford, Ireland
wichita,ks
Destination Expert
for Wichita
Level Contributor
1,843 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Eating in Waterford

Although I have never tried it my daughter highly recommends Jack Meade's Pub. They don't seem to have a web site but you can find pictures of it if you do a search.

Mentioned in this post
Jack Meade's Pub
Jack Meade's Pub
283 Reviews
Waterford, Ireland
Long Beach, CA
Level Contributor
27 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Eating in Waterford

Thanks, Patrick.

Happy St. Patrick's, day, by the way!

Waterford, Ireland
Level Contributor
6,414 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Eating in Waterford

Only just seen this!

Jack Meades has a very good reputation, but its quite a long way out of the city, you would need a car.

I presume you are looking for an evening meal? Many of the pubs serve lunch but not dinner, and the cafe type places close around 5. I have just been looking at the list of Waterford restaurants in various websites and most of them are out of date. Two of my favourites have closed recently, and many of the places listed as restaurants are cafes and fast food places.

I am a bit reluctant to recommend places as I think they are mostly overpriced, however I have had a good meal at the Bistro at the Tower (Tower Hotel), Poppy's on the Park …failteireland.ie/individual_results.asp… has had good reports, also La Palma in Parnell Street at the John Street junction.

The other possibility is to walk down High Street, which confusingly is a narrow, insignificant street to the left of City Square shopping centre (as you face it) and there are a good number of restaurants down there (Sadly the Wine Vault is now only a wine shop).

You would have a much better choice, at reasonable prices to have lunch rather than dinner.

Mentioned in this post
Waterford
Waterford
Tower Hotel Waterford
Tower Hotel Waterford
1,301 Reviews
Waterford, Ireland
Long Beach, CA
Level Contributor
27 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Eating in Waterford

Doneraile -

We are staying at the Faithlegg House Hotel. Is Jack Meade's close by?

Thanks for the tip regarding pub lunches versus dinners - about what time would pubs normally quit serving lunch?

Many thanks for your help.

Waterford, Ireland
Level Contributor
6,414 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Eating in Waterford

Faithlegg is very handy for Jack Meades, and the Faithlegg restaurant is highly recommended.

You would get lunch up to about 3 or 3.30 pm in pubs and cafes. Try TH Doolins for a lunch and an oldfashioned pub atmosphere. Its in the centre of the city, just off the central John Roberts Square (known to locals as Red Square - its neither red nor square!)

Napa Valley
Level Contributor
289 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Eating in Waterford

Will be there next month and Bodega's came highly recommended. Has anybody been there?

IRELAND
Level Contributor
22 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Eating in Waterford

The Three Shippes on William Street serves casual bar food from 4pm to about 8.30pm. Also Oscars Bar close to Waterford Regional Hospital serves good bar food in the evening. The Uluru Bar at Roundaout Waterford Regional Hospital has an evening menu ( bar food). This pub also has a very good Chinese Restaurant upstairs. All of these pubs are on the way into the city from Faithlegge House.

If you have a car, not too far from Faithlegge House is the pretty little village of Cheekpoint. This has got 2 very good restaurants McAlpines and The Cottage (not sure if thats the correct name).

Enjoy your trip

Mentioned in this post
Waterford
Waterford
Limerick, Ireland
3 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Eating in Waterford

If you're staying in Faithlegg then you virtually pass by Jack Meade's on the way into town. It's great for families-they have a little donkey sanctuary-sort of a mini farm and I think the kids can feed them. In the summer they do Sunday barbecues!

Also on the way into Waterford, on the Dunmore Road, you can ge food in Oskar's pub (yummy food, nice big place, can be quiet though), The Uluru (usually pretty busy and does nice pub grub), upstairs from the Uluru is my favourite, The Golden Rod Chinese restaurant, aka Johnny Fan's. Really luxurious restaurant, but the food is reasonable and the best chinese in the town.

If you decide to go away from town, try McAlpine's in Woodstown-not teribly far from Faithlegg, it's a traditional Irish seaside restaurant.

In town, you can go to Espresso on Parnell St for tasty, not too expensive Italian food, Mai Thai on the Quay is Thai fusion, but I haven't tried it yet so can't guarantee the food, Bodega on John St does lovely continental food, L'Atmosphere on Main St (I think-down the Quay side of City Square) does posh French food, The Wine Vault just up the road from it does really good continental food, and Lemongrass just down the hill, almost on the Quay is part of a chain of Chinese Thai fusion and everything in there is Y-U-M yum! Revolutions is a bog gastropub on John St and everything I've had there has been great. Get the pancakes with strawberries and honeycomb ice cream and chocolate sauce for dessert!!

Lastly, if you're visiting Tramore while you're in Waterford, make sure you get chips from Cunningham's and eat them on the Prom. Best chips in Ireland!

sorry if that was a bit long winded, but I think I've thought of all of the best places. Hope I haven't forgotten anything!

Mentioned in this post
Waterford
Waterford
Tramore
Tramore
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
Limerick, Ireland
3 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Eating in Waterford

Sorry-McAlpine's is in Cheekpoint, not Woodstown!

Waterford, Ireland
Level Contributor
6,414 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Eating in Waterford

Sadly the Wine Vault is no longer doing food. I agree Oskars would be a good place to get a meal. Not fancy but very satisfactory. Also the cafe above Boots in Baronstrand street is spacious and does a good carvery quite inexpensively - or get their tikka chicken in a bap (bread bun) a meal in a bap - I rarely manage to finish one, nice too, ask for roast vegetables in it. around €7.