We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Plan for Sligo, September 2011!

West Chicago...
Level Contributor
2,468 posts
131 reviews
Save Topic
Plan for Sligo, September 2011!

Having taken on board all the great suggestions from my October thread, tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g186591-i88-k40070… , below is my current plan for my visit to Sligo, 5-8 September, 2011. I would welcome any feedback, suggestions, corrections, rebukes, challenges and yes, even mockery. :)

I'm booked to stay the 3 nights at An Crúiscin Lan B&B. I chose it for value, location and being a B&B.

I am most undecided about where to eat in Sligo. I'm only looking for a decent meal at reasonable prices. Not so much on fine dining. Could be pub grub. Could be something better. I do love seafood. Places I've thought about include Coach Lane, Conrad's Kitchen, Fiddlers Creek, Hargadons and Tobergal Lane Cafe.

Note that while the plan below is really full, I always modify my trips on the fly while there. I'll drop things if I run out of time or just want a break, replace things if I find out about something better or even just find a way to just squeeze it in.

Many good options couldn't be squeezed into this itinerary, but two things in particular that I've painfully dropped from the plan are Lissadell House and Inishmurray Island. It looks like with losing the court case that Lissadell House will not be open. After contacting Inishmurray Island Tours I found that I won't really know whether a trip is possible until I'm in Sligo. If both of these DO become possible, I'll find a way to add them (choosing to drop something else along the way).

So here's the current itinerary:

MONDAY, 5 SEPTEMBER (Jet Lag Day; note that based on my previous four visits to Ireland, I know how jet lag affects me and this won't be too much driving for my first day):

Arrive in Dublin around 8am. Pick up rental car and drive to Boyle. Visit Boyle Abbey. Lunch at Stone House Café. Drive to and visit Carrowkeel Megalithic Cemetery. Drive to Sligo. Check in to B&B. Visit Tourist Office, Yeats Memorial Builing and Sligo Abbey. Dinner at ???.

TUESDAY, 6 SEPTEMBER (Yeats Country Drive Day):

Pick up picnic lunch at Kate's Kitchen (or Spar or ???). Begin day's drive with visits to the following: Tobernalt Holy Well, Dooney Rock (with 1 hour loop Nature Trail hike), Slish Wood (with 1 hour looped Forest Walk hike), Lake Isle of Innisfree Viewpoint, Parke's Castle, Deer Wood (with 1.5 hour looped Court Tomb Trail walk), Glencar Lake and Waterfall, Yeats's Grave at Drumcliffe. Dinner at Davis's Restaurant @ The Yeats Tavern. Sunset at Rosses Point. Drive back to Sligo. Trad music at Shoot the Crows. (Here's a link to a map of my proposed driving route for this day: maps.google.com/maps/ms… )

WEDNESDAY, 7 SEPTEMBER (Tombs and Spa Day):

Drive to and visit Carrowmore Megalithic Cemetery. Drive to Strandhill. Book bath (and maybe a massage) at Voya Spa. Lunch at Shells Café. Walk to and visit Killaspugbrone Church. Drive to and hike to top of Knocknarea. Return to Strandhill for Seaweed Bath (and possible massage) at Voya Spa. Drive back to Sligo. Dinner at ???. Trad music at McGarrigles.

THURSDAY, 8 SEPTEMBER (Last Sligo Day):

Visit Sligo County Museum and The Model (and Niland Gallery). Pick up picnic lunch at Kate's Kitchen (or Spar or ???). Drive to Ardara, County Donegal with following stops/scenic drives along the way: Mullaghmore, Creevykeel Court Tomb, Gleniff Horshoe Drive and Donegal Castle.

Thanks for any comments, suggestions, etc.

Keith

Edited: 1:03 pm, December 26, 2010
London
Level Contributor
759 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Plan for Sligo, September 2011!

Most of the staff in the Glasshouse are Eastern European - maybe that was the accent trintraveller :)

Grayslake, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,055 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Plan for Sligo, September 2011!

@wessexw - Really! I heard the head waiter speaking with 3 different accents, depending on the customer!

Bentley
Level Contributor
894 posts
1 review
Save Reply
13. Re: Plan for Sligo, September 2011!

An Indian call centre came to mind :-)

Ballymote, Ireland
Level Contributor
3 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Plan for Sligo, September 2011!

I've just come across this now, so sorry if I'm a bit late. It looks like you have a great trip planned, and lots of things organised.

I'd like to make just one suggestion if I may, I think 2 seaweed baths in one day is ambitious. Any time I've had one I've found very relaxing, but I've been quite tired after it. If it were me taking that trip, I'd go for the later bath only along with the massage.

Enjoy your trip to the most beautiful place on Earth.

Ballymote, Ireland
Level Contributor
3 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Plan for Sligo, September 2011!

I've just come across this now, so sorry if I'm a bit late. It looks like you have a great trip planned, and lots of things organised.

I'd like to make just one suggestion if I may, I think 2 seaweed baths in one day is ambitious. Any time I've had one I've found very relaxing, but I've been quite tired after it. If it were me taking that trip, I'd go for the later bath only along with the massage.

Enjoy your trip to the most beautiful place on Earth.

West Chicago...
Level Contributor
2,468 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Plan for Sligo, September 2011!

@TheQ47 - Thanks for the feedback. I must not have been clear! Sorry.

The earlier time is just to BOOK the bath/massage when I'll be in the area (unless I'm able to book it by phone on one of the days before). Then after Knocknarea, I'll return to Strandhill to actually HAVE the bath/massage. So just one each! :)

Thanks, though.

Keith

Ballymote, Ireland
Level Contributor
3 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Plan for Sligo, September 2011!

Now that you say it, of course it's obvious. I did wonder about 2 seaweed baths on 1day. :-)

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
200 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Plan for Sligo, September 2011!

Hi Keith,

We're in Sligo--it's gorgeous. Went to Srandhill yesterday, Voya baths wonderful! Someone in our group went for a massage--they asked if he took any prescriptions when he said 'yes' they wouldn't do a deep massage. Just a tip in case you do want a massage. The Jade Garden is closed on Tuesday. Strand Bar's food was fabulous! Fantastic seafood chowder, fish and chips and vegetarian fare.

Btw, my laptop hard drive crashed hours before taking off (while I was printing and backing up my 8 months of planning). Your forums are saving us! (along with Uuasal's research!). We're doing Sligo and Donegal this week. You have a lot to look forward to!

19. Re: Plan for Sligo, September 2011!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:16 pm, October 20, 2012