We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Clarion Appartments

Which Sligo hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
32 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Clarion Appartments

Hi all!!

Just wanted to know whether anyone has stayed at the Clarion Appartments in Sligo town? We are going there for two nights in May, is the town centre easily accessible, or would we need a taxi for nights out?

Thanks if you can give me any info.

Bob.x

Bolton, United...
Level Contributor
3,416 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Clarion Appartments

Dear bob220475

I notice you havn't had any replies.

We are going to Sligo next week and staying at the Clarion Hotel, I don't know if it's the same but i will post a trip report and let you know.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
32 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Clarion Appartments

Hi thanks alot for your reply!

I had noticed it was a wee bit bare on the reply front!! :)

The Clarion Hotel has appartments there too, where we will be staying. As you are staying in the hotel part, any info about location and overall feel of the place would be very welcome. We have heard both good and bad reviews about the place.

Hope you have a lovely trip, I cant wait to get back there.

Lynda.x

dte
Sligo, Ireland
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Clarion Appartments

Hi Bob

I haven't stayed in the Clarion apartments but have stayed in the Clarion Hotel after a wedding even though its not far from home for me. I can definitely recommend the hotel for rooms, service and food so much so that my sister has just booked her wedding there. The hotel is about a twenty minute walk from the town centre so you will probably need a taxi for nights out. The appartments should be good as they are all new!

Let me know if I can give you any more info

Dte

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
32 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Clarion Appartments

Hi dte,

Many thanks for your info, i didnt realise the appartments were that far out! Whoops :) oh well, a taxi shouldnt cost that much!

Talking about taxis for nights out, we normally go to McHughs for a beer or ten!! is there anywhere else you would recommend thats popular with Sligonians for the 'craic'? also, can you recommend a good chippy for after drink munchies? we found one ( the only one we could find open after 11pm!)and it was ever so expensive and not the best quality :(

Thanks ever so much, any info will be gratefully received.

Lynda.x

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
348 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Clarion Appartments

Bob --

We stayed at the Clarion Sligo apartments last summer, and were generally very happy with accommodations. (See my review, which has pictures of the 2 br apartment.)

I agree that it will be a taxi ride into town -- it's too far to walk (especially after the "drink or ten"). We drove in (to our regret) - convenient parking was tough to find.

Jean

dte
Sligo, Ireland
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Clarion Appartments

Lynda

McHughs is always a good idea other popular spots are

Fiddlers Creek and the GlassHouse.

As far as a chippy goes the most convenient after eleven is the Four Lanterns don't be put off by the crowds outside the service is always fast and quite reasonably priced. Try the BIG 4 burger can't beat their sauce. If you want to go for home made chips rather than frozen then you want the Happy Eater by the train station but a bit out of the way and quite expensive - good food though!

Dte

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
540 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Clarion Appartments

We stayed in the Clarion appts with our kids and we were very pleased. The kids had one double room, joined to a central living room and we had the other room.

Rooms were large, clean and well appointed. The "kitchen" is just a microwave and fridge and sink; there is no oven or stove-top. That was a small disappointment. But the restaurant staff were very friendly and helpful to our large party of kids.

We drove everywhere for sightseeing, but it is a bit out from Sligo town center.

Mark

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
32 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Clarion Appartments

Hi guys,

Thanks for the replies and all the helpful info. Nothing like getting the insider info :) I didnt realise the Four Lanterns was open that late, so thats good to know. We have eaten there before and were very happy with the food.

Should be a good weekend.

Thanks once again, happy travels!!

Lynda.x

davidkennedey@yahoo...
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Clarion Appartments

Hi,

Sligo has really developed in the last few years. Roses Point and Strandhill are nicest places to go for walks near by.

Strandhill is excellent place to go surfing. Lessons only cost about €30 for 2 hours. You can get lessons from the Byrnes shop or a lot of surfers also recommend www.perfectdaysurf.com

There is also great golf courses and places to cycle to -Mullaghmore, Strandhill, Roses Point...

You can't really go wrong with the brilliant selection of pubs around Sligo. Foleys, McGarrigles, The Strand, the Venue to select just a few. The Velvet Room is by far the best Night Club in Sligo.

As regards food my favorites are the chicken wings in the Court Yard, the fantastic fish in the venue, and Bistro Bianconi -Probably the best Italian you will ever taste.

Fast food- The Four Lanterns is probably the best. Stay away from the Happy Eater- they are over priced, over rated and do not believe in queues -locals only I am afraid.

Anyway - The heart of the west, great place to go, especially when the weather is good. The people are very friendly and you are guaranteed fun & games.

Enjoy,

D

Derry
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: Clarion Appartments

Hi there,

I have stayed in the Clarion appartments at least 6 times and they are great!! the only thing I would say is that Hen and stag parties use them ALOT! (why I was there 3 times) ..but alot of families use them too..they are really clean and have everything you could want, hairdrier, iron, mini kitchen (no cooker but micro, sink and fridge) most of them have 2 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms...the person who designed the route to the hotel from the appartments must be a maze designer!! you go up one floor down to floor -1 and up again, or some thing like that..lol..it is a bit out of the town but last year we got a taxi between 4 in2 town for 9 euro..it was ok. there is a spa and a swimming pool really family friendly. Im getting married this year and thinking on taking the girls for a spa weekend for my hen. A relaxing weekend rather than a drink fueled one. One thing, if you book breskfast in the hotel dont leave it till the last min to go, I stayed in the hotel last month with my future inlaws and we had to stand for 30mins to wait on breakie...because everyone was lazy like us and left it 2 the last min.