We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

carrowtemple

Watertown, New York
Level Contributor
288 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
carrowtemple

Once again I need some help..found carrowtemple and it sounds interesting from what little I could find on it.

I'm not firmilar with where Gurteen is, so I can get some idea of where carrowtemple is.

Thanks a million!

T

Co. Kildare
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
8,727 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: carrowtemple

T, if you mean Gurteen in Co. Leitrim it is a village just off the N16 (A4 just after the border to Northern Ireland) which is the main road from Sligo to Enniskillen. So if you look at your map and follow the N16 west from Sligo you will find Glencar Lough and Gurteen is just a few miles beyond that before you get to Manorhamilton. This is a lovely part of Ireland!

I haven't heard of Carrowtemple so I'm off to google it now.

Watertown, New York
Level Contributor
288 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: carrowtemple

Clauds

Yeah that is what I meant..sorry must have gotten distracted when I wrote that..getting map now.. found Gurteen..but that carrowtemple is not marked on it.

I discovered it on things to do here at TA in Slingo.

Ok Clauds..I did a google and a yahoo to find it.. nothing came up..better luck to you!

Thanks

T

Co. Kildare
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
8,727 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: carrowtemple

T, from what I found Carrowtemple is just a few miles southwest from Gurteen. I am sure anyone in Gurteen would be just too happy to give you directions.

Co. Kildare
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
8,727 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: carrowtemple

Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear, what is to become of me?

I just noticed that I told taewolf to follow the N16 WEST when I should have said EAST.

Can't tell my a..e from my elbow. Must be encroaching old age.

Watertown, New York
Level Contributor
288 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: carrowtemple

Clauds oh dear oh dear.. I kind of figured that out the hard way... ;-)

Danke

T

Guernsey, United...
Level Contributor
5,199 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: carrowtemple

Hiya taewolf!

You don't mean Carrowmore????

It's a megalithic cemetery just outside Sligo Town. I visited it a few years ago, and imo it's really worth a visit if you're interested in prehistory.

Have a look at my reviews (if you've got the time!!) - there's one with some photos of Carrowmore.

If you ARE interested in stone circles, megalithic tombs, etc, then the following web-sites may help with your visits to Ireland:

http://www.megalithic.co.uk

http://www.stonepages.com

Guernsey, United...
Level Contributor
5,199 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: carrowtemple

me again!

I should have googled "carrowtemple" before butting in with "carrowmore"!!

apologies - but maybe if you're in the area, carrowmore will also prove interesting!! :-)

Watertown, New York
Level Contributor
288 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: carrowtemple

SarniaGirl ahhh BUT you are brilliant with that idea. I had forgotten all about there!!!

Thank you thank you!!

Happy Christmas

T

Tallahassee, Florida
Level Contributor
16 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: carrowtemple

Carrowmore is probably the oldest burial complex in Europe. Some of its tombs, and one in the nearby Ox mtns, date back to 4500-5000 BC--much, much older than Newgrange or Stonehenge. The west coast of Ireland was settled long before the eastern part, or England for that matter, by migrants who walked north and west along the coast from Iberia, before Eire and Britain were separated from the mainland by rising seas. That is what makes Carrowmore so interesting.

Carrowtemple is a very interesting early Christian burial site several miles south of Gurteen and a mile or so to the west on a side road. Buy Discovery Map 24 (or is it 25?)and it will be shown on it.

The Tourist Office in Slligo sells a small pamphlet that lists the 20 or so principal Archaeological Sites in Sligo, qnd both Carrowmore and Carrowtemple are in there.

Cavan
Destination Expert
for County Cavan
Level Contributor
4,506 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: carrowtemple

You were right taewolf, Carrowtemple is near Gurteen in south Co. Sligo. Described as a medievel church and graveyard not far from Lough Gara. Gurteen (sometimes spelt Gorteen) is a tiny village on the road between Boyle and Tobercurry. This is not the same place as described as Carrowmore which is a megalithic site between Tobercurry and Collooney.