We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bed and Breakfast

Cheshire
1 post
Save Topic
Bed and Breakfast

Hi

I want to visit County Monaghan and specifically the village of Glaslough to do some research into my family tree and visit some churches etc.

I want to keep the cost down and stay in a B & B.

Does anyone know of any. When I search I just come up with Castle Leslie

Thanks

Joanne Mc

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
51,588 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bed and Breakfast

I searched on disoverireland.com and you're right - if you only go with Glaslough you just get Castle Leslie. But on that site you can also set distance paramters, and if you widen the search to 10 km another 7-8 properties come up. From my limited travels in that part of the country I don't recall too much accomodation being available, even in Monoghan town.

Co. Kildare
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
8,462 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bed and Breakfast

Joanne, I think you will have to widen your net a bit. Would any of the places on the discoverireland web site help? Go to www.discoverireland.ie/ Then under "Regions" click on "Ireland North West", then click on Monaghan on the map. In the next screen you can click on "Where to Stay", select Monaghan as county and B&Bs or Guesthouses as accommodation type. This should bring some results.

Good luck with this and your research.

Ireland
Level Contributor
53 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bed and Breakfast

Hi Joanne, Have you visited Monaghan yet? I would recommend that you stay around the Monaghan Town area, there are a few nice B&Bs... Ashleigh House (Dublin Street), Canal View (Clones Road) are 2 I can think of off hand. If you are doing family research your best bet is to head to Clones to the libary - they have the 1901 Census, 1864 Griffith Valuations and Tithe apploments for the whole county. There are some genealogy resources in Monaghan Town Library though. You'll need a car - pulic transport is practically non-existent!

Co. Kildare
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
8,462 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bed and Breakfast

What a pity that Joanne didn't come back to the forum.

shopaholic, that's nice info on Monaghan. I wish I could remember the bistro style place somewhere along the main street in which we had really good lunch some years ago.

Monaghan is one of those overlooked counties in Ireland. It's lovely.

Mexico
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Bed and Breakfast

HELLO, I have been in Monaghan two times in this year, my daugther was studyning in Beech Hill College. The first time I stay in Ashleigh House in Dublin Street, very very nice place... but ... for my second trip it was under remodelation. I dont know if it's finished yet.

For my second trip I stay in the most friendly B&B of the world: Melrose House, prop of Mr and Mrs Trappe. The telephone is 047 84711 and 086 1099942. It's located in Ballybay Rd. T46

Fully recomended.

ireland
5 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Bed and Breakfast

live in castleblayney in monaghan,,, in castleblayney there is the glencarn hotel,, hope castle hotel and blititogue b&b which are all very good to stay in,, there are plenty of B&Bs in castleblayney so try look the up over the internet,,, good luck,,,,!!!

7. Re: Bed and Breakfast

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:17 am, September 17, 2009
Get answers to your questions about County Monaghan