We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Laytown races trip report part 2

Dumfries, United...
Level Contributor
57 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Laytown races trip report part 2

RACE DAY

After a full breakfast we decided to go out and explore, as my other halfs a keen golfer firstly we took a walk to the local golf club to get him a ball marker for a present for me to take home - last of the big spender! Here we met the pro Robert Brown who helped out 2 'lost' (his word) looking females to get what they were after, when he found out we were here for the races he was kind enough to take us across the golf course (apologies to any golfers who had to put up with us two wandering around their course) to see where the track would be giving us a little geography and history of the area along the way.

After this we decided to go book ourselves a table for our evening meal after the races after reading the menus at various places we decided to book the restaurant in funtasia. Soon it was time for the races, well what can I say it was absolutely fantastic, as I have mentioned before we both work for William Hill and have been to racetracks before but nothing like Laytown races, the atmosphere was great we put our bets on and took ourselves of to watch the first race having put my money on Lilly Be, of course i should know better than to put my money on a horse, needless to say it didnt win, to console ourselves we decided we be off and find the beer tent and armed with a bottle of bulmers and a bet on January which was a tip from home we were feeling confident! Once again we did of course lose. We then decided we'd try our luck on the tote and settled ourself down on the beach to watch the rest of the racing, before we knew it the racing was all over and we were walking back up the beach talking about what a great day we had had! (although not a winner between us - ouch!) Finished of the day with a meal at funtasia (great service) and a few more Bulmers in the hotel which had a great band on.

HOME TIME

Before we knew it it was time for our journey home but we have taken with us a lot of photgraphs and great memories of the hospitality of the people of Bettystown and Laytown

Waterford, Ireland
Level Contributor
6,414 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Laytown races trip report part 2

Glad you enjoyed the races, thank you for your review.

Ireland
Level Contributor
58 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Laytown races trip report part 2

Glad you had a great time. really enjoyed your review!!

Regards

Earth
Level Contributor
1,751 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Laytown races trip report part 2

Sounds like a fun time. Personally I would never go to Bettystown or Laytown again unless for such an event. I was not at all impressed with anything there...accommodations, food, the people. It just seemed like a very run-down area. That is just my opinion and what I saw. Maybe living there is different.

Ireland
Level Contributor
3,584 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Laytown races trip report part 2

Phyl/Dolly

After your initial hiccup - glad things improved and you enjoyed the races. Did you get to hear HARAFISH in the Beer Tent? Fab local traditional/rock group. Didn't make it myself this year - went to Brussels instead!!

Sally - have to agree with you. Absolutely nothing in Laytown/Bettystown/Mornington and Meath County Council planners should be ashamed of themselves the way they allowed the development of the area over the last few years. Its only redeeming quality is the beach, (some) locals and the road out of it...!

Preston, UK
Level Contributor
36 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Laytown races trip report part 2

We went to the races for the first time this year but it certainly won't be the last!

We stayed at Beach Lodge which is at the Northern end of Golf Links Road - a mile or so from Bettystown centre. The landlady & family are a gem & the b&b extremely welcoming & comfortable.

We walked past the golf course in the morning & down to the beach opposite funtasia and watched the course being constructed from the 7th furlong down to the finishing post... awesome!

We had a Guiness or two in the pub near the railway station which had a marvellous atmosphere & contrary to other posts found the people really welcoming.

We headed back to the races which were a wonderful spectacle. We did stay and watch the local band who were excellent, again, a great sight - all the locals dancing, drinking, singing...

In the evening we headed to The Last Straw - yeah - not the nicest pub we've ever been in but they were friendly too. We'd been in the night before to watch the ROI Footy game then headed to McDonaghs pub up the road too.

The pub was really busy the night of the races and the atmosphere as again v friendly.

Wonderful - can't wait for next year!!!

Earth
Level Contributor
1,751 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Laytown races trip report part 2

I know Brits are generally not as exacting about the facilities at B&Bs and guesthouses as Americans might be. I have stayed at Beach Lodge in Bettystown and must say that my room was not clean, dust half an inch think on furniture, carpet needed a good hoovering, wall in bathroom needed a good washing down (did someone have an accident there recently?).

At breakfast I was served a typical Irish breakfast with toast. Some regulars checked in during breakfast and were welcomed with open arms. They were served a big beautiful meal with scones, croussants, pastries and lots of other goodies that never graced my table. I guess only repeat customers get preferential treatment. Host was not very friendly to me. How will a B&B get repeat customers if the original ones are treated like second-class customers? That was my experience anyway. I will not be a repeat customer. So it goes.

Preston, UK
Level Contributor
36 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Laytown races trip report part 2

Sorry your stay wasn't like ours Sally... It was our first time at BeachLodge too and were treated really well. That's a shame.

8. Re: Laytown races trip report part 2

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:17 pm, October 09, 2009