We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hostels in the Newgrange area??

new south wales...
Level Contributor
54 posts
Save Topic
Hostels in the Newgrange area??

Has anyone out there had any experience staying at any of the hostels in the region? There's not a lot of info on the net,and I'd really like to know what they're like.

There's apparently one at Trim,one at Slane and one at Kells. Are there any others?

If anyone knows about any of them, descriptions or advice would be much appreciated!

County Clare...
Destination Expert
for County Clare, Aran Islands, Bunratty, The Burren
Level Contributor
8,390 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hostels in the Newgrange area??

Not a hostel, but www.newgrangelodge.com in Donore seems to offer value, and be pretty well located.

Ireland
Level Contributor
3,584 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Hostels in the Newgrange area??

Nic

If you are backpacking and dependant on public transport etc Newgrange would be difficult to get to from Trim and Kells as they would be 20 odd miles away. I don't even know if you culd get direct access from Slane to Newgrange by public transport.

Check out the Green Door Hostel in Drogheda - www.greendoorireland.com. which would be more suitable and would have easy access to Newgrange. There is an excellent bus/train service to Dublin/The airport/Belfast etc from Drogheda also. Their website appears to give links to attractions in the area - so check it out. You would only be a 10 minute trip from Newgrange but have the amenities of a thriving local town.

North Coast, N...
Destination Expert
for Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
5,383 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hostels in the Newgrange area??

Definitely consider Newgrange Lodge - I was in it last summer and it was lovely - big comfy sofas for lounging in, nice courtyard, basic rooms but new and spotlessly clean and right acrss from Newgrange.

WA state, USA
Level Contributor
18 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hostels in the Newgrange area??

Our family stayed at the Slane Farm hostel a few years ago and loved it. We were travelling by car so I don't know about bus access. We had family rooms which were very clean and comfortable. The couple who ran the place were very friendly and helpful. Our daughter and their daughter were about the same age and got on well.

I highly recommend the Slane Farm hostel but as I said I don't know what kind of bus access there is. It wasn't too far from the village of Slane.

Ireland
Level Contributor
58 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hostels in the Newgrange area??

Hi NICO80

I wold recpmmend Dalys B&B in Donore, a short walk from Newgange and easily accessable by Bus from Drogheda. They have a Bar & Restaurant as well. Would be a bit more expensive, but nice for a treat.

Check out their website for local information.

www.dalysofdonore.com/

Regards

6. Re: Hostels in the Newgrange area??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:23 am, September 19, 2009