We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

My mini trip report

England
Level Contributor
2,309 posts
155 reviews
Save Topic
My mini trip report

Hi all.

Just got back from my weekend away in Trim/Dublin and we had a good time, so I thought I'd do a quick report;

We arrived in Dublin after a pleasant flight with Aer Lingus from Heathrow and picked up the hire car from Hertz. A very nice guy there let us borrow a car seat without charge as we'd forgotten our youngest's booster seat. After getting lost on the way into Dublin from the airport, we eventually parked near in the Irish Mall shopping centre car park.

We had breakfast at an Italian called the 'Italian Connection' - very good food, although service was 'spotty'. We then shopped our way through Clery's, Penney's, and various other places, before walking across to Powerscourt House to investigate the lovely antique shops inside.

After a disappointing meal in Cafe Fresh in Powerscourt House, (the soup was cold), we made our way along Grafton Street, admiring the 'human statue' en route, before finding our way back to the car. We had looked longingly at the various bars, (and at the Guiness inside), but with two kids in tow we didn't find anywhere that looked child-friendly so headed off to our hotel in Trim.

We stayed at the Trim Castle Hotel, which is in a lovely location opposite the castle. We were, however, very disappointed with the hotel - not good value for money, (I'm posting a separate review on the hotels' page).

After eating in the hotel brasserie, (Cafe Barrista), we went to bed as we'd been up since 3.30am!

The next day we took the guided tour of Trim Castle, which was very interesting; the guide was particulalrly friendly and informative. We've visited Trim before to visit relatives, but this was the first opportunity we'd had to go to the castle and it was well worth seeing.

The rest of the day was taken up with attending my nephew's christening at the local church, (beautifully decorated altar and well worth a visit in its own right). We ate again at Cafe Barrista in the evening - the food was okay, but nothing special. (The following day I was quite ill with suspected food poisoning - as we'd only eaten at the hotel, I'm afraid the food there was the most likely suspect!)

The following day, we visited the Ramparts Heritage Centre in Trim, which doubles up as the tourist office, but were disappointed that it was little more than a cafe. We were quickly back on our way to Dublin, but a planned trip to see the Book of Kells had to be shelved as we briefly stopped over at the Blanchardstown shopping Centre, (very impressive, btw), but by the time we came out, traffic into Dublin was so bad, that we decided not to risk being late and headed for the airport instead.

We had a good time in Trim/Dublin, although we wished we'd stayed for longer. Next time we visit Trim, I would stay elsewhere, however.

:)

Ennis, Ireland
Level Contributor
4,150 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: My mini trip report

Thanks for the interesting report micra.

It sounds like a nice trip.

Pity about the hotel though and the food poisoning.....

not too nice, lucky it didn't ruin your trip.

Co. Kildare
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
8,633 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: My mini trip report

Thanks for this, micra! What a shame about the suspected food poisoning. I've not stayed in that hotel myself so I cannot really comment. I hope you will come back to Ireland and get to see the Book of Kells in Trinity College. It's wonderful!

England
Level Contributor
2,309 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: My mini trip report

Thanks, guys.

I was very disappointed not to get to see the Book of Kells on this trip. I've seen it before, but I wanted to visit with the kids - next time!

(We only stopped off at Blanchardstown because I was ill, but it is a good shopping centre...shame I wasn't up to fully exploring it!)

:))

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
210 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: My mini trip report

I love trip reports, and since Trim Castle is on our itinerary, I'm glad to know it's worth it.

Thanks for sharing!

Kris

England
Level Contributor
2,309 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: My mini trip report

Hi, Kris.

Yes, Trim Castle is absolutely beautiful. They've done just enough restoration to preserve it, but in such a way that it's remained totally unspoilt. From the ramparts you can see for miles, right the way to the Hill of Tara and over towards Kells.

BTW, they filmed much of 'Braveheart' at Trim - if you ask at the Admissions' Office they'll show you a book of photos of the film shoot, (not sure why they haven't made a display of these on the noticeboards!) Apparently much of Trim's population were drafted in as 'extras'. My mother-in-law worked on the costumes for the film, so it was interesting to see the setting!

:)

6. Re: My mini trip report

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:20 pm, August 26, 2009