We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Time constraints

Which Westport hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
K H
Fort Lauderdale...
Level Contributor
22 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Time constraints

Hello! My husband and I are arriving late afternoon, September 2 in Westport from Northern Ireland. I unfortunately only have one night to stay and then we had plans to stay a night in Clifden. I really wish I had more time to spend, but unfortunately it is what is is for this trip. I was wondering about staying in Westport as a base for two nights and driving through Connemara throughout my full day. The following night is in Galway, so I might be able to see a little more on my way down. Sky Drive? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Limerick, Ireland
Level Contributor
4,335 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Time constraints

Try Leenane in the heart of Connemara

see the Killary Fjords

Youtube " AT YOUR SERVICE PART 1 "

followed by PART 2 and PART 3

enjoy.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Loughrea, Southport, Clifden, Connemara
Level Contributor
17,729 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Time constraints

Sky Rd drive is at the end of http://goo.gl/Ek8bpw and on map http://goo.gl/maps/L5ihu along with other points.. Personally I would have 2 nights Clifden over 2 nights Westport but it's not my trip.

Clifden Arts week is also September http://www.clifdenartsweek.ie/

Edited: 8:49 pm, April 28, 2014
K H
Fort Lauderdale...
Level Contributor
22 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Time constraints

Thank you both! I am open to Clifden, as opposed to Westport. Since we would be arriving so late in Westport, I was looking at doing my two nights there. What do you think about doing a night in Westport and then making my way down to Clifden for the night?

Silver Spring, MD
Level Contributor
190 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Time constraints

We just returned last week and spent 8 days in cleggan (near Clifden).We loved Clifden and it was within easy reach of plenty to occupy you over two days--including Westport, Leenane, Killary, Kylemore, Connemara National Park. I'd suggest picking one or the other and settling in to enjoy-you'll still get to see all of it, why move two times? They are an hour at most apart. I'd agree with tony2phones. The sky loop is amazing-do it, especially if the weather is fair!

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Loughrea, Southport, Clifden, Connemara
Level Contributor
17,729 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Time constraints

If you are coming down from Derry/Antrim on a dash then Westport is closest. Then drive the Doonlough valley route out under Croagh Patrick and Louisburgh down to Leenanne and into Clifden via Kylemore the National park and then the Sky Rd...

Where is the next location?

K H
Fort Lauderdale...
Level Contributor
22 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Time constraints

Thank you! I am looking forward to seeing every (or almost...) square inch of it! :) Our third night would be in Galway City itself. We had planned on only being there one day/night before heading to Killarney for a few nights. I have never been to the Aran Islands. Any thought on taking a day trip to Inishmore from Galway or am I packing too much in three days? I suppose I should mention that this is the first time in 10 years my husband and I have gone away together. We have three young boys and family will be with them so we can celebrate our 10 year anniversary. I'm not quite sure when a trip like this will be made again!

7. Re: Time constraints

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, May 02, 2015