We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather and ATM cards

Which Westport hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Livingston, New...
Level Contributor
214 posts
95 reviews
Save Topic
Weather and ATM cards

Help. We are going to Ireland in one week. We will be staying the majority of our time in Westport. I did inquire about the weather in Ireland already, but I'm hoping that maybe it has warmed up since then.

What kind of weather is there now? How cold does it get at night? Should we bring some type of fleece jacket? I'm the type of person who is always cold and when the weather is hot and humid I'm at my happiest.

Also, can we use an ATM card from an American bank to get some money?

Thanks for all your help!

Co. Kildare
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
8,376 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weather and ATM cards

You can check out the weather forecast closer to your time of departure at www.met.ie/forecasts/. We have had an amazing three weeks of sunshine but now we're back to heavy showers and grey skies with some sun in between. Today was decidedly cool. The nights could be be mild (sitting-out-with-a-bottle-of-wine-weather) and yet again it could be coolish (staying-in-with-a-bottle-of-wine-weather). It's just impossible to predict. So if you're someone who feels the cold sooner than other persons you should bring a fleece jacket just in case. Just make sure to tell yourself "You don't go to Ireland for the weather, you don't go to Ireland for the weather..."! I hope it will be nice for you.

As for ATM cards do a search on this forum for ATM cards. Some poster was told by their bank that they would have to pay a $5 fee for each withdrawal but I know that a lot of visitors use their ATM cards. Sorry, can't be of more help with this!

Livingston, New...
Level Contributor
214 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weather and ATM cards

Thanks for your help. I'll have to keep the weather thing in mind. Usually any place I go is for the weather - the hotter the better. I guess this one time I will have to deal with it.

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
11,641 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Weather and ATM cards

hi luv....yes you can use your atm card to get cash, and also just like you do your credit card to make purchases....and it is your best exchange rate....

don't take cash to exchange, nor travelers checks, both get a worse exchange rate and bank fees are charged also...

cash gotten in ireland's atm machines is free, well as in they don't charge you a fee for using your card....

have a wonderful time.....

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,389 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Weather and ATM cards

Check with your bank before you leave. Chase had a huge charge for getting money from an ATM out of the US and a high exchange fee (3%). My local bank had no access fee and did not have a mark up on the exchange. If you have more than one account, compare their rates. I also found that my AT&T Universal Card (Platinum Master Card) had a 3% fee on the foreign currency exchange rate. My State Farm Visa (Platinum) had a 1 1/2% fee. You will also want to inform the credit card companies and your bank that you will be using the card out of the country.

5. Re: Weather and ATM cards

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:19 pm, August 14, 2009