We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just Returned from Westport !

dallas, tx
Level Contributor
46 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Just Returned from Westport !

I wanted to post a message about our time in Westport since I relied heavily on these forums for the planning.

We were there from March 1 - 3, stayed 2 nights in the Boulevard Guest House.

We drove from Dublin on the M4 / N4 and it was super easy. We are Americans that had never driven on that side of the road. If you are careful, and especially if you have another person in the passenger seat to help, it was no problem. We spent the extra money on the Garmin GPS ($13/day at Avis), and it was definitely worth it.

Matt Molloy's is worth it, but you don't really have to plan an evening around it. You just sort of pop in after dinner and get a drink. We heard some fun live music. I enjoyed a pint of Guinness and my wife had a Baileys and coffee. Cost us 11 Euros I believe.

The Boulevard Guest House was not as fancy as I imagined. I think I was forgetting what standard to have in mind for a B&B. We had a simple, but pretty room (the blue room), and it was very nice. It's hard to say if it was worth 80 euros ($105), because I don't know about the other places. We loved the owners and inn keepers. There is no question it is incredibly convenient. If you have the money, spend it at Boulevard.

We ate dinner at 2 Italian Restaurants. One is called Sol Rio, the other was just up the street called (Mediterranean?) I think. It's in a little alley up from Sol Rio. Both were nice. Spanish house wine at the Med. Italian Place was best house wine I have tasted, even better than Italy.

Marlene's Chocolate Haven was worth it for us. My wife got a hot chocolate which she loved, and we got some little chocolate treats and used it as our Starbucks-type place to hang out and journal about our trip. They were pretty ok with us camping out there for a few hours since we bought stuff.

Lunch we got some food from Gavin's Cafe. I think it's better than the stuffed sandwiches next store. My wife loved her soup and the Irish brown soda bread.

We didn't climb Croagh Patrick, but we went up the ten minute walk to where the statue of St. Patrick is the overlooks Clew Bay. If you don't want to hike, it is worth it to walk up there. You get a nice view, and it would only take 45 minute roundtrip from your B&B in Westport.

I'd be happy to answer any questions anyone has about anything else. I tried to be as detailed as possible. Westport is very very walkable. We were there in early March and it was chilly, but we were blessed with sunny weather.

Euro is strong right now.

From Westport we drove to Louisbourgh, Leenane, down through Ma'am s Cross, toward Galway. We spent the night in the Waterfall Lodge in Oughterard. This was our favorite B&B in our 2 week trip. VERY WORTH IT!

New England, USA
Level Contributor
84 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Just Returned from Westport !

Thanks for your post. I am spending two nights in Westport in July and love to hear any suggestions for the area.

~Ditzy~

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
342 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Just Returned from Westport !

Ditto, we have 2 nights booked at the Westport Plaza in mid July. Is there a variety of Pubs with trad. music sessions?

New England, USA
Level Contributor
84 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Just Returned from Westport !

jugdish - just found this website that i'm looking through now. many links to the pub's website! http://www.thewestportpubsguide.com/

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
342 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Just Returned from Westport !

Gracias.......

New York
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Just Returned from Westport !

Just back from a stay in Westport and I must say , we had a great time, we stayed in the Boulevard Guesthouse and it was wonderful we could not have found a nicer place, and Westport town is so lovely , great pubs and restaurants, plenty of them and we were just two minutes walk from it all,the house itself is lovely and the hosts were great with us, telling us where to go and what to see.

Westport is so convienent ,you can travel to Achill and Connemara, there is some beautiful scenery all around Westport, really worth a visit.

Laramie, Wyoming
Level Contributor
176 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Just Returned from Westport !

I'm thrilled you mentioned Marlene's -she is my cousin and a lovely person-maybe you met her mother, Kitty who my have been helping out in the shop, who is an angel on earth. They recently moved into that new location and it is going quite well.

Maureen King

Laramie, Wy

eire
Level Contributor
31 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Just Returned from Westport !

westport is usualy buzzing in july the hotel will ave all up 2 date on wots on in july.

can recommend mangoes 4 food. mediterraenio was a fab place to dine but closed last month :(

there r lotsa of pubs in town matt mollys 4 trad mcgings gerathys are also nice pubs & should ave music most nites in july.

depending on the weather there r lotsa beaches betra & old head r the closest.

if i heard of anything going on in july il keep u posted.

CHARLOTTE
Level Contributor
842 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Just Returned from Westport !

Just came back from 2 weeks in Ireland and IMO the Boulevard was great. John, Sadie, and Noreen could not have been nicer. Noreen made my stay by always picking on me in a good hearted way. The breakfasts were great and the hearts of these three individuals were genuine and definitely Irish. I will treasure my time there and hope to see them again. Almost forgot to mention the wonderful porridge, the first for me but not the last. So creamy and great tasting with Golden syrup or brown sugar. Perhaps Noreen made it special just for me!

Frank in Charlotte

9. Re: Just Returned from Westport !

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:41 am, December 06, 2009