We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Westport internet's first 3D town

County Clare...
Destination Expert
for County Clare, Aran Islands, Bunratty, The Burren
Level Contributor
8,430 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Westport internet's first 3D town

Per today's independent, Westport will be the world's first fully 3D by google Earth next week "allowing virtual visitors stroll through the streets whilst sitting at their computers."

Should be useful for first time visitors to get their bearings.

Mentioned in this post
Westport
Westport
County Mayo, Ireland
County Clare...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,430 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Westport internet's first 3D town

Should read, world's first three D town....

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,171 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Westport internet's first 3D town

Very cool. Any idea how Westport got picked to be the first?

It will come in handy for me, I think, when we return from Westport - I'll be able to see what the walk from the bar to the B&B would have looked like if I'd been sober. :-) (planning ahead)

Mentioned in this post
Westport
Westport
County Mayo, Ireland
Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
59,147 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Westport internet's first 3D town

Couple years back, wasn't Ennis selected to be the first of some type of "Ireland Technology Town" or something? Whatever came of that?

Mentioned in this post
Ennis
Ennis
County Clare, Ireland
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
County Clare...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,430 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Westport internet's first 3D town

Irishfan. Ennis had that information something or other town-result, everyone got a free computer, and TA got Bannergirl

:-)

Kijones. Lol - sounds like a virtual 8D experience!

The town council had already had a model in place from a local company to help out with town planning, so much of the ground work had been completed.

Mentioned in this post
Ennis
Ennis
County Clare, Ireland
County Clare...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,430 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Westport internet's first 3D town

On the off chance that anyone is interested, this is now visible online -apparently - I just havn't managed to work it yet :-(

From

gearthblog.com/blog/archives/2008/01/westpor…

"......... if you search for "Westport, Ireland" in GE and turn on the "3D Buildings" layer it will begin loading a number of 3D models for the town. These buildings have high resolution photo textures which let you see and read signs on the fronts of stores, and even see merchandise in some of the windows. This also means they will take up a lot of memory, so make sure you have a good graphics card in your computer. Other interesting techniques in the collection is a detailed terrain base model for the town with the streets and sidewalks also textured and modeled. Even the bridges and water in a river are modeled."

The web site http://earth.google.com/ is amazing, if you have not yet logged on - everywhere is visible - which means you should be able to spot your own home - or use it as a tool to research other places.

Mentioned in this post
Westport
Westport
County Mayo, Ireland
Waterford, Ireland
Level Contributor
6,414 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Westport internet's first 3D town

I'm a great fan of google earth, I wish they would do the rest of Ireland at the same quality as the US and the UK.

I can't say I am wildly impressed by the 3D Westport though. Even though you can see the shop fronts it doesn't really look like a real place, and it has to be handled very carefully to make it work at all. You would also have to have a map of Westport handy or you would be lost in seconds.

Anyway, in spite of my grousing I can see how it is a step along the way to something amazing, I'll look forward to seeing it when it happens!

Mentioned in this post
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
Westport
Westport
County Mayo, Ireland
Co. Kildare
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
9,236 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Westport internet's first 3D town

This is so exciting, I don't know how to sleep tonight.

Waterford, Ireland
Level Contributor
6,414 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Westport internet's first 3D town

Ferdia, can you think of anything suitably cutting to say to clauds, I'm not feeling very sharp this evening. :-)

County Clare...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,430 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Westport internet's first 3D town

No Doneraile. I'm just too hurt...my lovely Westport posting being 'sniff' spoken about this way.

Clauds - get some rest, too much googling and lack of sleep is bad for your eyes.

:-)

Mentioned in this post
Westport
Westport
County Mayo, Ireland
10. Re: Westport internet's first 3D town

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:16 pm, September 17, 2009