We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

december

harrogate
Level Contributor
49 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
december

I am looking for some advice for accomodation in westport in december....we are a group of 8 men (not a stag do!)....we have been going away to various places for years eg Edinburgh, Tallin Portrush, Galway etc. We were booked to go to Riga but have been totally put off by the growing reputation of that place particularly on TA.....so we are looking for a central hotel with an old traditional feel , good bar and fire etc for 3 nights in December and some good pubs with traditional music etc any recommendations?

Co. Kildare
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
8,676 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: december

Hi sparkler, I am not sure that these will meet your requirements of "traditional feel" but you could try the following:

Hotel Westport (www.hotelwestport.ie/). Okay, so the reviews are mixed but we've stayed there a few times and liked it. Going back this year for the New Year's bash - our silver wedding.

Westport Woods Hotel is also quite nice (www.westportwoodshotel.com/) but not as central. It's walkable, though. You could get a taxi back if you don't fancy the walk back. There's a taxi company just on the hill beyond the Octagon. (You'll find a list of taxi companies in Westport, in case you need them at: www.goldenpages.ie/search/Westport/Taxi.html)

Then there's the Wyatt at the Octagon (/www.wyatthotel.com/?r=203501 and www.westportwyatthotel.com/ sorry, can't work out which one is the official web site).

I hope any of these will be of use to you.

For pubs you don't really need any recommendations... just follow your ears!

harrogate
Level Contributor
49 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: december

thanks very much.............just booked up to go

England
Level Contributor
640 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: december

hotel Westport is very nice.

To be honest. Most, if not all the hotels in this area are very good. Yes some look better than others but all come with great service and a smile.

The town itself is quite small. But there are so many pubs. It’s a fantastic night out and you will all have a GREAT time.

Make sure you go into Matt Malloy’s. This pub has a great feeling to it and some great Irish music.

I’m very very jealous.

harrogate
Level Contributor
49 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: december

Thanks........I am sure we will.....you should get yourself over!

Ireland
Level Contributor
193 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: december

Hi there

Traditional hotels in Westport is not something to easily come by. Hotel Westport is lovely, had my wedding there and the staff are lovely. The bar is v nice and has an open fire. It is about a 5-8 minute walk into Westport. Then there are the Castlecourt Hotel and the Westport Plaza Hotel, they are just beside each other and are v central. The Plaza is very modern and new. The Castlecourt was redecorated not that long ago and has a nice bar area although I am not sure about an open fire. The bar in the Castlecourt stays open till all hours if you are a resident (If that matters). Not quite so sure about the Wyatt, have not ever been in it although it is very central. There is also the Westport Inn, also v central but never been in it.

For pubs definately go to Matt Molloys, he is one of the members of the Chieftains, very traditional irish group. There is always trad music there at any time of the week. Always an open fire and always packed, I would love to know what his takings are per week!!!!!. It is deceiving when you go in as it seems very small, but there is a big back to it which can hold a good few. Atmosphere is great.

Enjoy your stay in Westport, it definately is a lovely town, and during december they have the trees along the river lit up with white lights for Christmas.

Enjoy!!

harrogate
Level Contributor
49 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: december

Thankyou v much for this.....do you know anything about the clew bay hotel?

Ireland
Level Contributor
193 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: december

Hi there

I know of the Clew Bay Hotel all right, I think I was in the bar of it once and looks very nice. It is in a great location. If i can explain how Westport works. When you enter westport from Castlebar (which is the most used route) you cross a bridge over (obviously) a river, you go straight up the main street (it is only one way traffic), you then veer around to the right at the top of the street, there is a few shops on this street (including O Connors Super Valu, gorgeous cakes and buns), you keep to the right and veer around to the right onto another street (James Street ) which is downhill, if you follow what I am saying you end up at the same river just different bridge. Basically the Clew Bay Hotel is on the left hand side near the bottom of James Street, and most of the pubs are on the main street so everything is very easy to get to. I think it is one of the few hotels in Westport that doesn't do weddings. I know I have never heard of a wedding there.

As for what it is like to stay in I am not the best to ask, maybe there are some reviews written, but it certainly looks well kept and homely. There are also some lovely places to eat in Westport. O Malleys pub and restaurant (bits of everything) good few italians (torrinos especially and il volcano), sol rio ( a mix of things).

Have fun

Ireland
Level Contributor
193 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: december

Oh ya and by the way if you do stay in the Clew Bay do not follow the directions on the website, they say 'keep in the right lane and veer to left and left again and hotel is on the left', it is actually veer right and right again and the hotel is on the left, you could end up going round in circles for a long time.

harrogate
Level Contributor
49 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: december

brilliant info....thanx....provisionally booked at the castlecourt..........unless anyone says otherwise

Ireland
Level Contributor
193 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: december

No, the Castlecourt is a grand hotel. Clean, friendly, late bar, sure what more do you want. And it is only a very short distance into the pubs. Hope ye have a great time in Westport, which I am sure ye will.

Cheers