We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Real Ale In Drogheda

Warwick, United...
Level Contributor
205 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Real Ale In Drogheda

Are there any pubs or hotel bars in Drogheda that serve real ale? I would prefer something reasonably tidy as I will have my wife with me.

Thanks.

Bob

St Peter's Church
Churches & Cathedrals
Mellifont Abbey
Sacred & Religious Sites
St. Laurence Gate
Architectural Buildings, Historic Sites, Points of Interest & Landmarks
Ireland
Level Contributor
3,584 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Real Ale In Drogheda

Hi Bobalong

I'm not an ale/beer drinker so dont really know what "real ale" is. Please excuse my ignorance and enlighten me. My interpretation would be something made locally and poured from the pump? Am I even nearly half right?

If so, I dont know of anywhere in the vicinity at all, but will certainly make enquiries over the next few days.

(Will you tell me what it is - so that I don't make a fool of myself, again!)

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
320 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Real Ale In Drogheda

Real Ale is a term used for beer that is normally put in a wooden cask as opposed to a stainless steel keg ( although not always). It is dispensed by air - not co2 or nitrogen. There is an organization that trys to maintain the tradition of ale dispensed this way.

Edited: 10:18 pm, June 19, 2011
Irish in...
Level Contributor
309 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Real Ale In Drogheda

Hi Bob

There is no tradition of Real Ale in Ireland like there is in the UK. Beer drinkers in Ireland tend to drink stout or lager. There are a few microbreweries around but this is on a very small scale. Other than that as an ale drinker you will normally be served Smithwicks or Kilkenny.

Saginaw, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Western Ireland
Level Contributor
7,879 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Real Ale In Drogheda

From The Irish Times, 26 March, 2011: a tour of the top small breweries in Ireland, in an article called Rising in the Yeast.

Locations mentioned include counties Carlow, Cork, Dublin, Galway, Kerry, Roscommon and Waterford:

irishtimes.com/newspaper/…1224292819797.html

And, an older (2006) article on the topic from The New York Times:

…nytimes.com/2006/…18journeys.html

Saginaw, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Western Ireland
Level Contributor
7,879 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Real Ale In Drogheda

And, the nitty gritty of it all, in 'The Breweries of Ireland; beers, history, styles':

http://patto1ro.home.xs4all.nl/irlbrew.htm

@ Bobalong: If you happen to be coming through Northern Ireland, the Strangford Lough Brewing Company in Killyleagh, Co Down might be of interest:

http://www.slbc.ie/

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
4,586 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Real Ale In Drogheda

I don't think there are any special or interesting drinks served by Drogheda publicans, at least none that aren't available in any other pub in the country! There are some nice "olde worlde" type establishments such as Tí Chairbre/Carbery's on the North Strand, Clarkes on Peter St, Matthews (McPhails) on Laurence St and Gleeson's on Narrow West St which would be nice to stop into to enjoy a beer or a Guinness.

There are a number of other "run of the mill" pubs too, I quite like sitting in Bru and watching everything go by...

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
4,586 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Real Ale In Drogheda

Strangely I just stumbled across this article, Irish Pale Ale brewed in Northern Ireland http://www.buynifood.com/news.php?news=266 It's based in Kilkeel in Co Down and they say that they export to ROI so maybe you will find some in an off license? http://www.whitewaterbrewery.com/ tours are of the brewery are also available!

EDIT: Just noticed that it's the last brewery listed in Uasal's link http://patto1ro.home.xs4all.nl/irlbrew.htm ooops!

Edited: 11:12 am, June 20, 2011
Warwick, United...
Level Contributor
205 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Real Ale In Drogheda

Thanks for all your replies.

Real ale is beer that is not pasteurised and served without extraneous gas. It has to be pumped out of the barrel or, now rarely, served from a tap in the barrel. It is also referred to as cask conditioned.

My understanding of the situation in Ireland is that The Stout King dominates the hearts and minds of beer drinkers so no small breweries will prosper.

These days it is rarely served from the wood but in casks that look similar to the kegs that the pasteurised & pressurised beer comes in.

If I can't find any then the fall back is either red wine or G & T. Guiness is not an option, I find it too metallic and gassy. I do actually like stout, when it is done well.

On that basis I will look into your suggestions, Lollymcd, and watch the world go by through a rosy haze. Incidentally, do any of these pubs/bars serve food?

Sadly I will not be coming through NI. I guess that by mid July the Rory McIlroy party will have finished(?).

I found the web site listed but it seems to date from 2006 and, looking at the data, 5 years is a long time in Irish micro-brewing. The brewery highlighted looks hopeful but it seems that I may stumble over it rather than plan to see it.

Incidentally, I shall be spending a lot of time at Ardee, any chance there?

Once again, thanks for all your replies.

Ireland
Level Contributor
3,584 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Real Ale In Drogheda

Hi again Bobalong

I'm learning lots about "Ale" from this post.

Unfortunately, I dont think you will find what you are looking for .

Have a look at this website which I came across tonight http://www.beoir.org/ It might provide something to compensate. It gives a list of microbreweries across the country and where you might find them stocked. There appears to a couple of pubs in Skerries that stock a range of the drinks (afraid to call them ales/beers or something else - not knowing the correct terminology!). They would probably be closest to you in either Drogheda or Ardee. Skerries is a lovely little town for a visit. One pub in Dundalk stocks a Porterhouse Ale, but probably not worth the detour. Have a look at the site and see if there is anything that you might be interested in.

Dublin
Level Contributor
2,280 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Real Ale In Drogheda

Unfortunately a combination of high taxes, aggressive market domination by Diageo & Heineken and stubbornness of Irish drinkers and publicans makes it very difficult for smaller breweries to take a foothold in our pubs. Things are getting better, but mostly only in bigger towns and cities. As LittlePumpkin said, www.beoir.org is probably the best resource for Irish craft beer information.

Get answers to your questions about Drogheda