We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drogheda

Drogheda, Ireland
Level Contributor
2 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Drogheda

We are here too! The town may not have the scenery of the northen part of the county but there is planty to see and do!

Vienna, Austria
Level Contributor
291 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Drogheda

Hey there Dingdongwongbong,

I want to get there but need some help ! I am arriving in Dublin Airport on a Friday afternoon at 15:00 in two weeks, and I will then pick up a rental car and get on my way to Drogheda. I have to meet an appointment at Sillogue House near the Monasterboice Inn on the R132. The last time I was up there I was recommended to take the Julianstown exit and drive through the town to avoid the toll, but I ended up in a huge Friday afternnoon traffic jam, now I am wondering if it wouldn´t be better to stay on the M1 and take either the Moneymore exit or drive on until Newtown / Monasterboice and then drive the short way back to the B & B ? Any idea ?

Greetings, Fritz

Phoenix
Level Contributor
660 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Drogheda

I've been there for a night on my way up to Northern Ireland.

The used hypodermic needles laying on the pavement sort of put me off.

Other than that I enjoyed shopping there.

Vienna, Austria
Level Contributor
291 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Drogheda

I have never come across that myself, but I´d say every town in the world nowadays has its darker corners ... I have good friends there that I visit regularly when I am in Ireland, and I have to say I have come to like the twon over the years, its nice and overlookable in size, and its gota lot of stuff to see around, like Newgrange, the Tumbs, Slane Castle, Monasterboice abbey, Carlingford Lough, the Irish sea beaches near by .... and they do a great pint in Mc Hughs !!!

CU, Fritz

Phoenix
Level Contributor
660 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Drogheda

I think I'd just stick with the M-1 and take your exit there. Last time I hired a car (a year ago) the toll was only 1.30 so it's not that bad even if you have to pay it. Saves having a headache!

Hopefully one of the locals will answer this one for you!

ireland
Level Contributor
454 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Drogheda

stay on the M1 and just after you cross the boyne cable bridge take the next exit (signposted slane and drogheda north) at the roundabout take the 4th exit continue on to the next roundabout take the second exit and continue to the next roundabout and take the first exit this will put you back on the drogheda-dunleer road which will have you in monasterboice in 5 mins . Oh and checkout the monasterboice inn for dinner best steaks in the country in my opinion

6. Re: Drogheda

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 pm, September 10, 2009