We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

nice walk reachable by train

Amersfoort, Holland
Level Contributor
151 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
nice walk reachable by train

I'm looking for a nice country walk in the surroundings of Dublin. What I mean is a walk with stone walls, cattle, villages en streams. Not a coast walk, because we do see of lot of coast during our holiday. I thought of the Drogheda area, because it has an interesting history. We think of distance of approx. 10 kilometers. Not boggy and not only roads.

I hope there are walks like this?

3 replies to this topic
Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
131 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: nice walk reachable by train

Don't know if these suggestions really fulfil what you are looking for but it's hard to think of walks along the train lines around Dublin that aren't coastal.

Two possibilities:

1. Take the DART to Shankill and follow the Dublin Mountains Way as far as The Scalp. Details here: www.everytrail.com/guide/shankill-to-scalp Maps can be downloaded from http://www.dublinmountains.ie/home/

2. Take the Maynooth commuter train and take a walk along the Royal Canal. See: www.everytrail.com/view_trip.php… The walk described is 20km but can be easily made shorter since you pass five railway stations along the route.

Ireland
Level Contributor
3,584 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: nice walk reachable by train

Hello Libo

Stone Walls are not a significant feature of the area around Drogheda. In the area, I can't really think of a particular place that would fulfil all your requirements.

However, one walk that I enjoy and may be of interest - even surpass your wishlist if you are willing to compromise is to take (part of) the Boyne Walk from Drogheda. Follow the Boyne River up the Rathmullen Road, amble along the river/canal side and under the Boyne Cable Bridge (now known officially as The Mary McAleese Bridge) until you hit Oldbridge House. From there, you have the option of walking right alongside Bru Na Boinne (Newgrange).

Another option would be to take a taxi to Oldbridge House, home of the Battle of the Boyne Visitor Centre and start from there. Would reduce your walking time significantly. You could walk back into Drogheda (mostly downhill - the Rathmullen Road can be a bit of a tedious chore if walking up it!)

With this walk, you have the added advantage of not only walking in the historic footsteps of the Battle of The Boyne ground, but also great refreshments in Oldbridge House itself before/after your walk, which itself merits a while to wander around.

Drogheda is full of history, and has its own walking tour every Tuesday to Friday at 3.000pm from the Tourist Office in the centre of town. Might be worth incorporating that into your day too.

Have a look at the attached which should provide further information

ramblers.ie/oldbridge-to-bru-na-boinne.html

drogheda.ie/boyne-valley/…walking-tour.html

heritageireland.ie/en/…

Also, should you take the bus from Dublin to Drogheda, it would take you closer to a starting point for the walk. The train station in Drogheda is a tad outside the town.

Cavan
Destination Expert
for County Cavan
Level Contributor
4,460 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: nice walk reachable by train

I would have thought that Pheonix Park might be somewhere handy for Dublin with its zoo and miles of open spaces.

Reply to: nice walk reachable by train
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted