We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Limerick to Dublin by Train

Which Limerick hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
84 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Limerick to Dublin by Train

Hi,

On Tuesday June 17 my wife and I would need to take a train from Limerick to Dublin. We will be staying at Absolute Hotel (Sir Harry's Mall). When I looked at the http://www.irishrail.ie/ website and entered Limerick in the "from" field, three options showed up in the dropdown: Limerick, Limerick Junction, Limerick (Colbert). Which of these 3 train stations is the closest to the Absolute Hotel?

Thanks

Camden, New York
Level Contributor
8 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Limerick to Dublin by Train

Thanks, Bean. I've since signed up for a car rental. I chose Glin as our home base while visiting Ireland as it's my ancestral home (Enrights, McMahon's, Houlahan's and Flanagan's) and more quiet than staying in a city.

Good tip on the Heuston station. We plan to see the Book of Kells and the library and then off for some Guiness tasting and other sights.

Cheers!

Bob

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
26,288 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Limerick to Dublin by Train

Glin is lovely Bob. Make sure you head over to Foynes to the Irish Coffee and Flying Boat Museum.

And you are well positioned to see places like Listowel and Killarney and go for a walk on Ballybunion Beach.

Beaufort, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Galway
Level Contributor
3,973 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Limerick to Dublin by Train

I'm pretty sure Glin would have a number of hackney taxis available. Ring wherever you are staying to double check. Regarding Trinity College, get any bus from Heuston station ( its the last stop on the Limerick/Dublin line) into the city centre. Trinity College is only a 5/6 minute walk from here. But will you have luggage with you? If so, would you not be better off going to your accommodation first?

Camden, New York
Level Contributor
8 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Limerick to Dublin by Train

Mr. Bean: Those are definitely on our itinerary, among others. We will be staying for ten days, so we have some time to hit a lot of places. Also plan on taking the ferry at Tarbert to do the West Coast drive. It seems that's a shortcut rather than drive to Limerick, head North, then backtrack West?

Mr. Golf: We are definitely checking into our room first. We depart Boston at 19:30 local time and arrive at Shannon at 05:45 local. Pick up the rental car, then drive down to Glin. The first day will be very slow, maybe go to Foynes for the Air Boat Museum, head back to Glin, and go into town for a pint or two and some dinner. I'm trying to plan the outdoor things based on the weather in May. When we visit Dublin, we won't have anything but the usual tourist stuff (camera, etc.).

Thanks again for the info, gents.

Bob

Ennis, Ireland
Level Contributor
4,122 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Limerick to Dublin by Train

Just so you know before your trip, Robert, Bean is the Irish for woman:-)

I wouldn't like to see you getting into any trouble!!

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
26,288 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Limerick to Dublin by Train

I call hubby Mr Bean at times - but thankfully he has never run around the kitchen with a turkey on his head :o))

17. Re: Limerick to Dublin by Train

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, March 04, 2015
Get answers to your questions about Limerick