We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A day in Limerick

Which Limerick hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
England, United...
Level Contributor
1,692 posts
95 reviews
Save Topic
A day in Limerick

A friend is staying at Jury's Inn Limerick, for two nights in July, she is a member of a choir performing at St Mary's Cathedral on 29 and has a free day on 30 July. She has never been to a ireland before, and has asked me for recommendations for her day in Limerick - no car, so public transport or a day tour is what she is looking for. My friend likes beautiful scenery, countryside and maybe megalithic sites - not so keen on stately home/ museum type attractions. I don't know Limerick well, but googling brought me to Lough Gur, which sounds just up her street. So my question, is it possible to get a day tour to Lough Gur or is there a way to get there on public transport? Her other option is an organised tour with her choir group to Bunratty Castle and Folk Park. I really enjoyed this when I visited a few years ago, but its maybe not to her taste. I am sure she will enjoy whatever she ends up doing, but any suggestions/ advice would be very welcome.

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
26,272 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A day in Limerick

Hi Ms Riley,

Lough Gur does indeed sound like it would suit your friend but unfortunately its in a fairly remote spot, and while your friend could get a bus to Bruff, she'd need to get more transport from there.

I've googled and found a taxi driver in Bruff called Jackie Moloney, telephone (061) 382576 Bruff is about 12 minutes drive from Lough Gur.

This is the Limerick to Bruff and Bruff to Limerick timetable www.buseireann.ie/pdf/1272289855-329.pdf

England, United...
Level Contributor
1,692 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A day in Limerick

Thank you Bean. I will pass this on to my friend. Reading about Lough Gur has made me want to visit myself , it's a part of Ireland that I don't know at all, always something new to explore.

Thanks again.

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
26,272 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A day in Limerick

Lough Gur is lovely. Its a really interesting place to visit.

St Mary's Cathedral is also a lovely place. Its 1100s or so. I think she will enjoy singing there.

Limerick, Ireland
Level Contributor
4,586 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: A day in Limerick

see 1 day tours with PADDYWAGONTOURS.COM /

tours for Cliffs of Moher, the Burren, Doolin town

and Bunratty lasts about 6 hours ..E35. each

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
26,272 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A day in Limerick

Paddywagon doesn't go to Lough Gur.

6. Re: A day in Limerick

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:42 am, July 22, 2013
Edited: 11:42 am, July 22, 2013
7. Re: A day in Limerick

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:19 am, June 27, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Limerick