We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fake restaurant reviews on TA - interesting article

new york
Level Contributor
957 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Fake restaurant reviews on TA - interesting article

limerickleader.ie/news/business/limerick-res…

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
26,796 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fake restaurant reviews on TA - interesting article

Thanks Noseymama.

I will write reviews but in Limerick, if I'm going to a new restaurant I'll either go on recommendations of people I know who've already been there OR I'll look at the restaurant reviews on boards.ie

Freddys/Freddies is at 1 and 12 and that new cafe in Thomondgate only has 6 reviews.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
19,048 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fake restaurant reviews on TA - interesting article

I don't know how TA ratings work but there is a (newish) place in Southport which has rocketed into the rankings based on totally dubious reviews and one in Clifden where I will never again go through their door sat at No1?

I honestly believe there is almost a snob culture when it comes to some restaurants and that many "Foodies" wouldn't know a good meal if it was given free but pay a small fortune for stuff I wouldn't give the dog just because it was cooked by or in a "Name".

Ventry, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle Peninsula
Level Contributor
7,366 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fake restaurant reviews on TA - interesting article

My professional work is food related, and I know many restauranteurs have issues with Tripadvisor reviews. My own view is that it is a democratic forum, and like all democracies crackpots and charlatans can have their say too

In the same way as you would not believe everything you read on the Internet (unless you

are loon), I think most regular TA users are quite discriminating when it comes to reviews. Personally, I look at the posters "credentials" (posting history, consistency) before giving weight to their views, and like Bean A I'd rely on the recommendations of friends

In any event, their is huge subjectivity when it comes to eating out. Some consider it mere refueling for the body, while for others it is an indulgent hobby. (most people probably fall somewhere in between).

Edited: 7:17 am, August 16, 2012
4. Re: Fake restaurant reviews on TA - interesting article

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:17 pm, August 20, 2013