We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ancestry search

St. Louis, Missouri
Level Contributor
14 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Ancestry search

We two sisters believe that some of our ancestors are from Offaly & Laois. We hope to know more specifically where we might be looking by the time we get there in July, 2010. At this point, we think we would like stay a few nights in a centrally-located B&B where we could do research. Any suggestions?

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
25,593 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ancestry search

I would suggest you do as much research as you can before you leave.

First point of call should be the 1911 Census of Ireland www.census.nationalarchives.ie

Hopefully the 1901 Census will be online later this year.

Also look at the following if you have individual names:

http://pilot.familysearch.org/record...s;t=searchable

It can lead you to dates of births, marriages and deaths.

I'm sorry I can't help you with B&Bs but good luck in your searches.

St. Louis, Missouri
Level Contributor
14 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ancestry search

Thank you so much. We are accelerating our searches that we can conduct before we leave. Thanks, also, for the link to the census.

Two trippin sisters

3. Re: Ancestry search

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, September 03, 2010
Get answers to your questions about County Laois