We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kilkenny: stay over night or just an afternoon?

Boston...
Level Contributor
48 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Kilkenny: stay over night or just an afternoon?

Hi all

I'm staying a week in Dublin, and doing a few day trips from there, and I'm thinking about adding Kilkenny to the list. I would be taking the train in from Dublin. The castle sounds charming, and I am a big castle lover, so I will have to see that as well as Kyteler's Inn.

Is it worth spending the night in kilkenny, Or in my case, would it be best just to spend a day or so and go back to Dublin? Any opinions are appreciated.

Lastly, if I do decide to stay over, are there any B&B's within walking distance from the train stop? I will have my luggage of course.

Are the sites walking distance from the train stop?

many thanks.

Ireland
Destination Expert
for Kilkenny
Level Contributor
3,608 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Kilkenny: stay over night or just an afternoon?

Yes i have already answered. This was my answer:

Willowtree - with regard to Dunromin. I would say a brisk 15 minute walk would bring you to John Street, via Maudlin Street.. This is a very nice walk and on the way there is a wonderful viewing point (on the corner of Maudlin Street) where you can see all the towers and spires of Kilkenny. John Street is a busy street on the edge of the town centre. If you like walking, this distance won't be a problem to you. I am just aware some people would think it was too far. You might decide to walk in to town and then get a taxi back. Dunromin is a very well-kept house.

New Hampshire
Level Contributor
2,764 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Kilkenny: stay over night or just an afternoon?

Yahoo! I'm not (yet) going crazy!

;-)

Dunromin sounds lovely, and a little walk will not hurt us (unless it is pouring rain) as we will need to be walking off a (ahem) bit of stout.

nyc
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Kilkenny: stay over night or just an afternoon?

I just returned to nyc from a two week trip in Dublin and Kilkenny. Had a great time in Kilkenny. The castle is beautiful and the town had plenty to see. We stayed at the Rosquil House ,which is near the train station, for a couple of days and it was really nice. The breakfast was excellent and the folks there very helpful. would recommend checking them out...

dublin
8 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: Kilkenny: stay over night or just an afternoon?

Hi guys

Just a note having read all your comments -

Carraig Rua , knockavon, Lacken House & Dunromin are all well run professional establishments. All provide Bed & breakfast lacken house is probably a bit more luxurious than the others and has Restaurant and Bar and therefore is a little more expensive than the others as it is more of a boutique hotel.

A further note on these properties is that all have private car parking which many places in Kilkenny dont offer.

All are within walking distance of the train station.

It is definitely worth spending a night in Kilkenny on your trip IF as your other writer has mentoned you have not already paid in full for accomodation in dublin - if you have then it is all 'do-able' in a day by train (and the train service has improved).

re the comment regarding emails not responded to - I used to work in Lacken and I know all emails are checked and answered throughout the day so if you dont get a response from any establishment - never assume 'they didnt answer' all premises want your business - so always allow for the possibility that they did not receive it and send them another one! ( I market for a number of hotels now and note this comment comes up a bit on Trip advisor website)

Also - a tip if you are booking your holidays whilst many premises have their hotels or houses on websites with live booking engines it is always worth going direct to the property before finalising your booking as sometimes you can still get better rates by going direct!

Hope you enjoy your holiday!

dublin
8 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: Kilkenny: stay over night or just an afternoon?

PS I note one of you writers mentions Rosquil House which is on the castlecomber road opposite the new park hotel - This is a new purpose built property and is supposed to be absolutely lovely!! (I havent stayed there myself but someone in the hotel business reccommended it highly!)

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
195 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Kilkenny: stay over night or just an afternoon?

We really enjoyed our stay in Kilkenny. We were surprised that the city was as diverse and charming as it was.

We did not like where we stayed though: Lawlor's Pub. The rooms were nice, but the noise at night was unbearable.

Ireland
Destination Expert
for Kilkenny
Level Contributor
3,608 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Kilkenny: stay over night or just an afternoon?

Thanks nulawlady. I'm glad you enjoyed Kilkenny. I can imagine that there was a lot of noise around Lawlors. John Street is not the best area to stay in, with the exception of the River Court, which is on the River and set back from the road.

18. Re: Kilkenny: stay over night or just an afternoon?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:19 am, August 27, 2009